Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Finished

Well, that's over and done with. The final sub-microscopic corrections are being made as I write, and the drawings will be printed this afternoon. We have survived another competition! U even managed to keep her random fits of hysterical rage under control until this afternoon.

Enough.

Lunch is cooking, comfort food, and only the second meal I've made for myself since the middle of last week. It will be eaten on the balcony, then I shall run a few errands before heading downtown for a hard-earned evening of dolce vita.

But first while lunch is cooking, several people have asked about my working arrangements, so my explanations have clearly been obscure. I have three jobs, all part-time and irregularly frequent: I am a database developer (writer of software) under my own name, and I translate the Münsters' database into English (plus other associated tasks like updating their websites and wikis), and I work as an architect with G and U on various projects (for instance, the competition that we have just finished).

When I say "the office," it means one of two things: a room in Rose Street where G and U work, and where I have the use of a desk and a cappuccino-maker, where I work on jobs 2 and 3 (but not 1, because it often requires up to four computers at once* so can only be done at home); or else the team of G, U and myself, and on this occasion a newcomer whom we shall call Frodo. The latter usage is quite rare, only applying to formal public appearances as a team.

* Database server, Mac client, Windows client, and my development machine to watch over their transactions.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger JoeinVegas said...

I hadn't heard about the four computers at home thing. My, you do live in a technological world.

Come to think of it, I've got four computers set up at my house too.

July 1, 2008 at 4:10:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Dale said...

:-> If you write software and you don't have a big QA department to test your stuff, you'd better have a few different machines on tap. Surprising how often what works on machine A doesn't work on machine B.

Thanks for the clarification, Udge! I was rather muddled about it all.

July 1, 2008 at 7:25:00 p.m. GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home