Thursday, May 10, 2007

Return of Son of Twenty-Five

The competition has now closed, thanks for playing.

Yet another music quiz, to keep you busy until I can get back online.

For new players: the object is to name the band/singer and the song of which these are the first lines. The rules are simple: Googling the lyrics when you haven't a clue is cheating, that should be obvious. Googling the title of a song when you can't remember the name of the band, or the name of the album when you can't remember the title of the song, is OK; however if by doing so you discover that you were wrong, then honour would require that you not submit the answer that you found.

Off you go:

1. Cold wind blowing over your private parts
The Tragically Hip, "Lionized" - S'toon

2. Drive! Drive! My baby drove up in a [title]
The Clash, "Brand new Cadillac" - S'toon

3. Hearts are worn in these dark ages
Sarah McLaughlan, "World on fire" - S'toon

4. Here comes Johnny Yen again, with the liquour and drugs and the flesh machine.
Iggy Pop, "Lust for life" - Alan

5. High, higher than the sun, you shoot me from a gun
U2, "Elevation" - Sis

6. (spoken) I am not frightened of dying.
Pink Floyd, "The great gig in the sky"
Hang your heads in shame that nobody got this one! I shall have to post it as a Friday Favourite for your musical edification.

7. I could feel at the time there was no way of knowing
Roxy Music, "More than this" - Anxious

8. I, I'm so in love with you
Frankie goes to Hollywood, "Power of love" - Lioness
Al Green, "Let's stay together"

9. I'm wheels, I'm moving wheels, I'm a 1952 Studebaker coupe
Adrian Belew, "Neal and Jack and me" - rb

10. If I was beautiful, if I had the time
Moby, "Signs of love" - Pacian

11. Oh, it's so funny to be seeing you after so long, girl
Elvis Costello, "Alison" - Alan

12. Now, when I was just a little boy, standin' to my Daddy's knee,
Creedence Clearwater Revival, "Born on the Bayou" - Alan

13. Please allow me to introduce myself
Rolling Stones, "Sympathy for the devil" - Alan

14. Take me out tonight, where there's music and there's people who are young and alive.
The Smiths, "There is a light that never goes out" - Alan

15. The lights are on but you're not home
Robert Palmer, "Addicted to love" - Anxious

16. The wine's all drunk and so am I.
Peter Gabriel, "Waiting for the big one"

17. There's no hold, the moving has come through
David Bowie, "Night flite"

18. This is the day of the expanding man
Steely Dan, "Deacon blues" - Peggy

19. Through the windows of a rented limousine, I saw your pretty blue eyes.
Led Zeppelin, "Sick again"

20. We'll be fighting in the streets with our children at our feet
The Who, "Won't get fooled again" - Alan

21. (spoken) What we've got here is: failure to communicate.
Guns'n'Roses, "Civil war"

22. When I think of those East End lights, muggy nights
Elton John, "Someone saved my life tonight"

23. When the day is long and the night, the night is yours alone
REM, "Everybody hurts" - Anxious

24. (spoken) Will it get some wind for the sailboat?
Philip Glass, "Knee play 1" from the opera "Einstein on the Beach"

25. You say that we've got nothing in common
Deep Blue Something, "Breakfast at Tiffany's" - S'toon


And since this is a musical post, here is tomorrow's Friday Favourite: a hot'n'bouncy number from a little-known great CD. This will be the last Friday Favourite for a while, for reasons that should be obvious.

That's all for now my dears, the next post (God and terrorists willing) will be from Spain. Until then, be kind to yourselves and each other.

Labels: , ,

17 Comments:

Blogger Anxious said...

7. More than this - Roxy Music/Bryan Ferry

15. Addicted to love - Robert Palmer

23. Everybody Hurts - REM

May 10, 2007 at 1:55:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger alan said...

4. Iggy Pop - Lust for Life

11. Elvis Costello - Alison

12. Creedence Clearwater Revival - Born on the Bayou

13. Stones - Sympathy for the Devil

14. The Smiths - There is a light that never goes out

May 10, 2007 at 6:16:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Udge said...

We're off to an excellent start: seven right answers. Well done the pair of yez.

May 10, 2007 at 11:13:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. Lionized - The Tragically Hip
2. Brand New Cadillac - The Clash
3. World On Fire - Sarah McLachlan
25. Breakfast at Tiffany's - Deep Blue Something

I should know number 4 as well, but it isn't coming to me. I'll add it if I think of it.

May 11, 2007 at 12:43:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And by 4 in the above I of course mean 5. Oops.

May 11, 2007 at 12:48:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Udge said...

Hello S'toon, four right answers! Thanks for playing (I wondered when/whether you'd comment :-)

The regular reader in Regina should be able to get #5 (a kind of hint).

May 11, 2007 at 8:00:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Pacian said...

"10. If I was beautiful, if I had the time"

Wow, I never get any lyric quizzes, but I know that these words are uttered by Moby (the bald, as opposed to furry one) in Signs of love, which I have always had a soft spot for.

May 11, 2007 at 2:16:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger alan said...

20. The Who - Won't Get Fooled Again.

#21 is a quote by Paul Newman in Cool Hand Luke, but I have no idea what song opens with it ...

Hope you enjoy the walk udge!

May 11, 2007 at 2:52:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, yeah I got number 5 right away. I was waiting for S'toon - she said that it was on the tip of her tongue. But I always rise to a challenge...

5. U2 - Elevation

May 11, 2007 at 10:18:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Udge said...

Pacian: correct.

Alan: both correct. We'll give you a half-point extra credit for getting Paul Newman :-)

Sis: correct.

May 12, 2007 at 8:06:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger rb said...

9. Neal and Jack and Me (Adrian Belew)

no sleep no sleep no sleep no sleep no sleep

May 13, 2007 at 3:16:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Udge said...

RB: quite right, well done.

May 13, 2007 at 5:33:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger JoeinVegas said...

Nice selection, I only know a few (already answered), but Googling some others brings this post up most of the time.

May 15, 2007 at 4:48:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

18. Deacon Blues-- Steely Dan (so happy to find an unanswered one too...)

May 16, 2007 at 8:37:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Udge said...

Well done Peggy, quite right.

May 17, 2007 at 7:45:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Lioness said...

8. Frankie Goes to Hollywood - The Power of Love

I still can't believe you flew all the way to Spain to walk. That's not right.

May 18, 2007 at 12:06:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Udge said...

Lioness: Not the one I was thinking of, but it fits so you're a winner. I'll post both possibilities.

May 18, 2007 at 5:01:00 p.m. GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home