Friday, May 18, 2007

On walking the Camino

The feeling of being here under false pretences continues, in fact increases. The Camino is full of people doing it for real, walking every inch of the way, carrying all their equipment and belongings on their backs. We are tourists.

I got into an argument with one of our group yesterday morning, as we were buying tickets to the cathedral in Santo Domingo: the ticket agent asked whether we were pilgrims, I replied (in my opinion truthfully) "no," the other woman replied (in my opinion dishonestly) "yes." Complacent, self-indulgent horseshit. A "pilgrim" is one who makes a pilgrimage on religious grounds, in compliance with its terms and usages. Anyway.

I really miss having full-time Internet availability, snatching a few minutes between dinner and bed is insufficient. I've brought my Moleskine along and am writing frequently and at length, but it's not the same: one writes differently for publication even when the audience is really oneself.

This was a good decision, and I am glad to be here.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home