Monday, January 29, 2007

On versifying

I am surprised and
pleased by the success of my
humble poetry.

(But I learn that I was wrong
to name it waka renga:

waka is the verse
form "three lines followed by two;"
renga the way of

its composition, as a
Gesellschaftsspiel for poets:

A writes the first verse,
B the second, C the third,
and on back to A.)

Your apprecation pleases
me all the more because it

refutes the lesson
of a dozen classrooms, that
I cannot compose

poetry: my attempts were
all gently deprecated.

But is this really
poetry or just oddly
punctuated prose?

I had thought to write a mutual on-line friend to ask about her. After two months of (mostly) silence, letters unanswered—I was uneasy, wondering what had happened or what I had said. "I'm not asking for details," I'd say, "just tell me that she is well and happy; that this silence only means that she is busy."

That works just as well in prose,
I find, and the other way:

Well, we are again
working more or less together
on more or less the

same project; but it's not the
one that we agreed to.

seems to me to be
neither better nor worse than
deliberate verse.

I don't know whether to be
pleased that I always write verse

unaware, even
when I think it prose; or to
be disappointed

that the sound of my so-called
poetry is that of my

fingertips tapping
out syllables on the top
of my desk.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger rb said...

tap tappity tap
tappity tappity tap
tappity taptap

:)

January 29, 2007 at 9:07:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"We see always our
good intentions, and thus do
we find ourselves good:"

That is poetry.
Today's post is just your thoughts
squished into spaces.

Your poetry is graceful
and your rants are best in prose.

January 30, 2007 at 3:28:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Blogger * said...

hi Uhudge cant even think or write in such impressive looking poetry this is too complicated for me :) I wonder whether you have to pronounce all the syllables at once? or each syllable extra? oh this is too confusing. Anyway, take care udge, I'll be passing by from time to time...

January 30, 2007 at 7:43:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Blogger brooksba said...

There is something beautiful in the repetition of beats, rhythmic and simple. Love the posts you write using this pattern.

January 30, 2007 at 7:56:00 a.m. GMT+1  

Post a Comment

<< Home