Sunday, January 28, 2007

Ad hominem

Melting ice on the Feuersee in Stuttgart
meltingIce1
Originally uploaded by udge.
Well, we are again working more or less together on more or less the same project; but it's not the one that we agreed to. I am neither speechless nor astonished, because this happens all the time. U's opinion is the only one that matters; should she be overruled in meetings, she just works on G afterwards until he caves in. She does the same thing in private too: I suggest on the phone that we meet at 12:30, I hear them discuss it , I hear her agree, then ten minutes later G calls back to say that U wants to meet at 13:00.

I could even live with that were her decisions firm and reliable, but they aren't. U's indecisiveness is a curse and a hindrance. She complains that the hotel-room units are too wide and explains at length how and where they should be shortened. When I, summarizing things ten minutes later, say that I will attempt to make the rooms ten centimetres shorter, she replies "Well, they could also be longer."

It's panic, just pure, simple panic. Like many weak people, she confuses leadership with the exercise of power, whereas in reality it has at least as much to do with responsibility. She wants to call the shots, she wants us to dance to her tune; but she is terrified that it might prove to be the wrong tune and how then could she blame us for the error?

In other news winter seems to be over. It rained (as opposed to snowing) last night, the forecast for the next few days is for +3°C which will mean the end of the snow. Ah well, it was nice while it lasted.

In other news I've just washed a week's worth of dishes and cleaned the kitchen. Lunch is cooking, the washing machine is running; as soon as both are finished I'm going to the Antiquariatsmesse (no website, how quaint) to look at wonderful old books and prints.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Zhoen said...

I'd be so tempted to videotape her, all the time, then play it back at her. Repeatedly.

January 28, 2007 at 4:06:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Old books and prints - wonderful. Enjoy. Can I come with my daddy?

January 28, 2007 at 5:05:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger alan said...

"Like many weak people, she confuses leadership with the exercise of power" - this seems very true to me, and seems to encapsulate your current dilemma in a nutshell.

January 28, 2007 at 5:23:00 p.m. GMT+1  

Post a Comment

<< Home