Monday, July 18, 2005

On phishers

Yet another attempted-fraud e-mail, this time asking me to give them the access information to my Deutsche Bank account. On examining the e-mail (every mail programme has a feature which shows you the true content of the message without any formatting or pretty display, in Apple Mail it's the menu command "Display/E-Mail/Plain text") it is clear that this cannot be from the real Deutsche Bank: the URL is

http://meine.deutsche-banks.com

According to whois, the domain is registered to James Harris, of 27 Nottingham Road, Eastwood, Nottingham UK.

If Mr. Harris exists at all, then he is a criminal; but even if he is a fiction somebody paid the registry company yesnic.com for the site name. (For convenience, let's proceed as though he does exist and is the domain's owner.) I don't understand why his provider does not take down the site - or why the police do not take down his front door.

Actually, I do understand why yesnic (which appears to be based in Korea) doesn't close down his site: they are as crooked as he is. The last four phishing mails I received, were all from domains registered by yesnic. As M said to James Bond, "once is chance, twice is happenstance, but three times is enemy action". The yesnic corporate website gives no contact or ownership information at all, which is illegal under American and German laws. It is impossible to contact them until after you have become a customer and given them money. Does that sound like a reputable firm doing honest business?

Why does the überregistry InterNIC not close down yesnic and de-register all of its domains?

Could someone explain this to me, as if I were four years old?

2 Comments:

Blogger Fred said...

I need an explanation, too. I probably get two or three of these emails a day.

July 19, 2005 at 4:56:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger CarpeDM said...

I get a few of these as well.

The thing that I find amusing? None of the emails are actually (well, actually in the sense that the fraudsters are using the name) from my bank. They are from banks I have never even heard of.

I also keep getting emails from people who claim to live in small countries and need an honest person to send a wire transfer of vast funds to, all I have to do is provide them with my account information. Okay, you're telling me that you work for a bank and some guy died without an heir and you're just going to transfer a lot of money to me? Hmm, what could possibly be wrong with that?

July 21, 2005 at 6:58:00 p.m. GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home