Thursday, July 14, 2005

Winter is coming

Another wonderful morning: clear sky, cool breeze, swallows flashing past my second-storey windows.

Sunrise this morning was at 5:50. I am amazed at how quickly the days shorten after the solstice: not yet a month, and we have already lost more than an hour of daylight in the mornings. This amazes me afresh every year.

I will arise and go now, and go for a walk on the Blauer Weg.

[Three hours later] Well, that was very pleasant. I walked in the woods for an hour, then cut downhill to the Südheimerplatz and took the streetcar back. I was thinking about Venice (inspired by Noorster's photos), remembering early mornings drinking cappucino and watching swallows and schoolchildren swoop past. It was not yet 8am, and despite its small-town spirit and agricultural past, Stuttgart is not an early-rising city; where might I find a café already open?

On a hunch, I stayed on the streetcar past my usual change-to-the-bus at Schreiberstrasse, got out at Österreichischer Platz, then walked to a nameless square in the Gerberviertel, where the Café Eberhard had indeed just opened as I got there. I sat down under the plane trees and spent a pleasant half-hour practicing dolce far niente. Plenty of swallows to watch, not much traffic, and the cappucino was pretty good; almost a fair substitute for the Campo San Polo, were such a thing not completely impossible.

3 Comments:

Blogger Heather Cox said...

I wish we'd start losing daylight, it's still light at 9pm and I can't get my kid to bed!

July 14, 2005 at 4:32:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger brooksba said...

Sounds absolutely charming. Even with the days getting shorter, you managed to hold onto a joy of summer.

July 14, 2005 at 7:54:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger CarpeDM said...

What is winter like in Germany? I've been wondering since I've started reading your blog.

I think I would enjoy the swallows. I am fascinated by birds and can spend hours watching them.

It sounds beautiful there.

July 15, 2005 at 9:52:00 p.m. GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home