Saturday, December 04, 2004

Got his mojo workin'

I was in my favourite record store looking for Christmas presents, when I saw this:


One of the many reasons to shop at Einklang is that you can listen to CDs before buying them, so I popped it onto a player and pressed Start. Six seconds later, I pressed Stop and cried "Sold!" (in German, of course). That's a first for me, I usually skip through all the tracks on a CD before deciding.

This is a terrific album. Very simple: just solo acoustic-guitar (with a considerable amount of bottleneck slide) and some damn fine preacher-man singing. The obvious point of comparison is Robert Johnson, and indeed popular mythology says that Son House taught Johnson to play slide.

This recording was made in 1965, but the sound is very good. Clearly some uncredited person has spent a good deal of time and effort cleaning it up: you hear not only the notes being played, but also the faint mechanical sounds of the plectrum and the slide rubbing against the strings.

I still haven't got those Christmas presents: this CD is a keeper.

2 Comments:

Blogger Silly Old Bear said...

You've sold me! (but in English. How do you say 'sold' in German?)

I'll put this on my list. I love the sound you describe.

Do you like harmonica players? Little Walter, etc? They often pair nicely with a solo guitar / singer.

Finally, thank you very much for the kind comment on my blog. Made my day!

December 7, 2004 at 8:12:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Udge said...

Hello Bear: one should say something like "Den kaufe ich" (I'll buy that). Because they know me well there, I said "Meins! Her damit!" which one might translate as "That one's mine! gimme!" A little harmonica can be a thing of beauty, but I'm mainly a guitar man (as far as blues goes). But my favourite instrument is the human voice.

Witho: Do I understand correctly that you don't need to put the CD into a machine? Very cool.

Smartmom: Hope you enjoy it!

Blogsplot: Change the comments page, so that I can see the previous comments that I wish to reply to :-(

December 7, 2004 at 8:36:00 p.m. GMT+1  

Post a Comment

<< Home