Thursday, November 25, 2004

Cold

There was a frost last night, for the first time this winter. Even down here in the valley, windshields were scraped this morning - but not all of them. I was amused to note a correlation between the quality of the car and the need to scrape its windshield: cars in the Mercedes/Volvo/BMW class were befrosted, the cheap seats were not.

I sat here this morning reading blogs and answering e-mail, and shivering. I was wearing a neckwrapper over a sweater over a longsleeved shirt over a t-shirt, and I was still cold. "It must be miserable outside," I thought. Until it occurred to me just now, on the way to refill my coffee cup, to examine the thermostat. Gentle reader, it was set at 16°. Duh. No wonder I'm cold. Clearly I nudged it down twice last night, and nudged it up once this morning - without actually reading the display.

Another problem successfully solved, I'm on a roll. Now if I can just stop my database from crashing...

3 Comments:

Blogger Udge said...

Oh, that's nasty. You have (he has) my sympathy. Good luck! And for the future: Make backups :-(

November 25, 2004 at 12:11:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger carmilevy said...

I've noticed the same thing here, too (London, Ontario). The higher-end cars are the ones most likely to be movable igloos on a wintry morning. I wonder if a sociologist would be interested in studying this.

I use wool slippers (that my wife made), and lots of layers to make it through the winter. There's something poetic about staying warm on a cold day.

November 25, 2004 at 8:31:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Udge said...

Hello Carmi,

thanks for the comments. Woolen slippers sound good, I'm wearing a pair of fleecelined mocassins (sp?) that are coming apart at the toes after many years of wear. Perhaps Santa will be good to me this year.

Just out of curiosity: how did you find my blog?

November 26, 2004 at 6:09:00 a.m. GMT+1  

Post a Comment

<< Home