Wednesday, April 09, 2008

On saving money, and matters arising

I phoned Lufthansa tonight to book my flights for my father's 80th birthday celebrations, and had to wait and wait and wait and wait (as one does). While waiting I idly surfed over to Lufthansa's website and started researching flights and prices there. The sales rep came on the phone as I was about halfway through the online process, so I carried on with that while talking to her. She and the computer both ended up with the same flights on the same days — but a 300 Euro price difference! Booking online was only 2/3 of the price she quoted me. So I explained the situation, thanked her politely for her efforts, and booked online. I can think of much better ways of spending the money than by giving it to Lufthansa. For instance, it's almost exactly the price of a 16Gb iPhone.

But anyway. That's the state of play. I am now booked for Toronto for early May. According to my mother, it'll be the first time that Sis and I have been in the house together with them since 1988.

I phoned my parents to let them know, and we talked of family and friends (as one does). Mom asked whether I had heard from Physically Distant Cousin's daughter lately? No, should I have done? Apparently yes: there are plans* in the brewing. As Mom tells the tale, PDC'sD's grandparents asked her at Christmas what she was planning to do after graduating from high school this coming summer, whether she had thought about university? "No way," she replied, "I'm going to go and live with Udge in Europe for a year, learn German and maybe French."

Ah. Okaaay.

Mom expected me to be contrite and apologetic at having lead her astray**, and also to be concerned about looking after this poor delicate flower (snorts) for a year, but I'm afraid I laughed delightedly. I think it's a marvellous idea and I support her fully. No idea how it'll work out, or even where I'll be living come September, but it will work out somehow. Good on yez, PDC'sD, more power to your elbow.

* Or at least: ideas and big talk.
** Educationally speaking, I hasten to clarify.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Zhoen said...

I actually love unexpected guests. Well, depending on who, and if I can still get time off work, but in general...

April 9, 2008 at 10:46:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger JoeinVegas said...

Oh, that sounds like so much fun. Can I come over there and sponge off you and learn French and German for a year?

Good luck on the work - and finding a new apartment. What's going on with that?

April 10, 2008 at 1:31:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Dale said...

:-)

April 10, 2008 at 2:17:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Lioness said...

Oh my, that does sound fun!

Is she clean flat-wise? Maybe she'll be a good influence on you as well!

April 10, 2008 at 4:23:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps your relative could start college and spend a month or two with you during the Summer. Languages are certainly important but formal education is required by most jobs.

Good on you for finding the deal online (something that I'll never be able to do).

April 11, 2008 at 4:15:00 p.m. GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home