Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Dilemmas and decisions

The Münstermeister called just now, to formally offer me a permanent job on his team.

He asked whether I would consider working fulltime (instead of half as presently), I said "yes." Being the clever salesman that he is, he only then said that the job would be based in Münster, 375 km away in the frozen flatlands of the north. Damn. I would at least not have to move immediately, I could continue to work via VPN from Stuttgart with biweekly trips to Münster until Autumn; but it is clear that he wants to have the team located physically in Münster in the long term.

I am torn. On the one hand, I enjoy the work and the money is very good. On the other, I am happy here; my friends and my clients and my favourite shops are here; I have a doctor whom I trust and an excellent dentist. I know exactly one person in Münster: him.

Decisions, decisions.

Well, actually, the decision is made: I will take the job unless the salary or conditions are insultingly low. As far as the rest goes, moving or staying or whatever, I shall have to see what happens. Perhaps we can work together well enough with weekly meetings that I could avoid having to move?

This is great news, really; why do I feel vaguely sad?

Interestingly enough G too wanted a serious discussion with me today. They are unhappy with the way my using their office is turning out: they are confused by still needing to ask me if I have time to work for them. They had anticipated that they could simply shout "come here" and I would drop my mouse and scurry over to work on their drawings, i.e. that I would go from working largeish blocks of time with a fair period of notice to working tiny chips of time with no notice at all. In other words, that my "work" is just a little amusement to keep me from boredom while waiting for the call to assist on their More Important Things. Well.

We agreed that I may continue to work there — as long as they don't need the space — but will now pay rent in the form of 10 hours' unpaid work as system manager per month, and that he will look for a full- or halftime employee to do those Things at the drop of a cursor.

So here too the offer from Münster is welcome and timely.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Zhoen said...

All change is painful, even the good stuff. Courage, friend.

(I still have a few shards of your chocolate gift. Rationing it out so it will last as long as possible.)

April 9, 2008 at 12:54:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this feeling is also very current for me. i found out yesterday that one of my best friends has been offered a very well paid job in the netherlands. it's fantastic that he got the job but he would much rather stay in vienna and we're both sad.

i hope you can work it out without having to move.

April 9, 2008 at 10:58:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger SavtaDotty said...

A long time ago I was advised to pay attention to the distinction between situations that were "familiar" and those that were "comfortable." I'm still working on that one.

Congratulations and Good Luck! I hope your new situation proves to stay comfortable as soon as it becomes familiar.

April 9, 2008 at 6:04:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Jean said...

Oh gosh. Courage with all the pending change. Hold out for what is best for you. Hope you can take all the time you need to come to decisions.

April 9, 2008 at 6:15:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Lioness said...

I read this yesterday and nodded. When we spoke abt it I didn't say anything but I thought they might want you to move there. Leaving friends is hard but you'd be a train ride away only. Life does speak to us and I'm not saying it says "Say yes!", I'm saying it paid attention when you said you wanted things to change. And now they are. And whatever changes come to you now, I am certain they will be good ones if you keep dreaming well and failing well.

April 10, 2008 at 4:26:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Lioness said...

And by the way, forgot to add, that G sounds like a right tosser.

April 10, 2008 at 8:47:00 p.m. GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home