Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Awake

Bone-tired but wide awake at 2:45 a.m. Changing to and from summer time always discombobulates me, like a mini-jetlag without the pleasures of travel. I slept for about two hours this afternoon, waking in semi-darkness at what my alarm clock informed me was "6." I assumed 6 a.m. until I noticed that I was fully dressed, then remembered lying down for a nap at 4 p.m. and realized that it must be afternoon/evening.

Recovering slowly. Still coughing, but without pain; still feeling as though my lungs were full of goo; still weak and tired.

22°C on Sunday, 12°C today on Monday.

I've finished two of the ten books I bought in London, and am about to start on the third, Tolstoy's "War and Peace" in a new translation by Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky, after reading about it in the New Yorker. I tried W&P once before, many years ago, in a Penguin Classics translation; it didn't hold my attention. I am curious to see how this new edition will be. [Updated: first notes on the novel, and the book-as-object, here.]

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Dale said...

Oh, hooray! Leo will cure what ails you. Just remember that in a way it's kind of supposed to be tedious at first, so that when Andrei says "This life -- is not to my taste" you understand him, and you understand the desire for war.

April 1, 2008 at 4:31:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Udge said...

Ah, but it's not tedious to a reader of Proust. The opening chapters remind me strongly of P's high-society party scenes, where you are meant to understand for yourself what utter morons the Kuragin children are, and how decadent the society is that would rather listen to them than to Pierre.

April 1, 2008 at 7:57:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Corvi, Corey, Crow, Maggie and Raven said...

I miss you and Susan. I hope we are online together some today. Are you well yet? God, I haven't read anything for a month...I think I am one of those morons.

April 1, 2008 at 2:56:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad that you have time to read. Hope you get better and have time to work.

April 1, 2008 at 5:20:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And CCC&M - new here? Hello since you don't have a page, pass it on Susan please.

April 1, 2008 at 5:21:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Snark said...

I'm glad you're mending. Do let us know if that version of War & Peace is any good. The Penguin version I have has failed two attempts, and I have read some of the most BORING books in the English language TWICE for the same crazy professor, so I can usually put up with boring. I always figured I'd like Dostoevsky better, but I haven't finished a book by either of them yet. (Yes, in translation.)

April 1, 2008 at 7:35:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Corvi, Corey, Crow, Maggie and Raven said...

Just noticed your beckett quote. oNe of my RL friends used that as her Mantra on the Mantra Trailer (sent you that link after you talked to Sweetie a couple of days ago, but you can google it).

Hoping you make it back to SL in a moment...

Corvi

April 1, 2008 at 9:11:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Udge said...

Joe, CCC&M are indeed newish. You may be seeing more of them in future :-)

Snark, so far it is wonderful. I'm enjoying W&P greatly.

Corvi, I can't get back in: network problems. If it hasn't fixed itself by 1 pm SLT I shall just give up for today.

April 1, 2008 at 9:47:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Corvi, Corey, Crow, Maggie and Raven said...

Udge, someone jsut made it back. If you have any time left after spending your afternoon/evening with me...

April 1, 2008 at 10:02:00 p.m. GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home