Thursday, November 08, 2007

Tempus fugit

Third in a continuing series of blog titles that require, but don't necessarily receive, translation.

Taking a break from translating to drink tea, eat chocolate and poodle about in the Internets. Listening to the CD from which tomorrow's Friday Favourite will be taken (wait for it). Dear gods, it's already Thursday again. Exactly seven days until we hand in the competition, and it's still all very wobbly.

I think that some of the happiness in hard and serious work that I wrote about yesterday comes from having been in Flow for much of the day. The ability to concentrate, to work without being interrupted, is an essential pre-requisite for getting into the flow state; it's easily available at home (since I'm doing the translating on my PC which has no Internet connection and nothing remotely gamelike installed) but harder to obtain in the office. Most of the time I'm alone there, since G is busy being a new father and the two new hires also work mostly off-site.

Work on the translation is slowing down as I get further on with it. At the beginning, I could just plough ahead translating words at the drop of a whim, but now the spectre of consistency raises its head. I spend a small but steadily increasing proportion of my time looking back through what I've previously translated to ensure that I always use the same English word for a particular German one. This is of course a Good Thing and the right way to go about it, but it does slow down the work considerably.

Right, that's enough. Back to work. More later, perhaps.

Eight down, twenty-two to go.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Zhoen said...

As long as you're having fun.

November 8, 2007 at 2:08:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Jean said...

If you're planning to do more of this, you need some translation memory software, Trados or one of its freeware equivalents. I'm not as huge a fan as some, but for stuff like computer software or manuals it would certainly be a boon.

Just posted the meme on my blog. I love it :-)

November 8, 2007 at 3:24:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger CarpeDM said...

Time flees! Time flees!

Do not ask me why I get excited over Latin. I have no clue. The best ever word a day calendar I ever had was one with Latin words.

November 9, 2007 at 12:13:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Blogger JoeinVegas said...

What all has to be turned in as part of a competition? Is it a series of blueprints and drawings for a building project? If you win, does that mean that you get a contract to actually construct the edifice? If it means future work and income, why isn't more of an effort being put into this by the principals?

November 9, 2007 at 4:43:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Udge said...

Zhoen: oh, I am! mostly.

Jean: thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into that.

DM: well done.

Joe: No blueprints, just initial design drawings (i.e. not even enough to apply for building permission with). Plans, sections and elevations at 1:200 (a person is as long as your thumbnail), site layout and landscaping at 1:500 (a car is as long as your fingernail), detailed section showing the facade treatment and construction at 1:50 (a person is as long as your thumb), and a bit of flowery prose explaining why our proposal is the best.

November 10, 2007 at 8:18:00 p.m. GMT+1  

Post a Comment

<< Home