Sunday, November 04, 2007

Politics, Sunday edition

Woken at six by a pounding headache, right on the cusp of being a migraine. I ignored it for an hour, then slept again until 10:30 by which time it was reduced to a continuous dull roar in the background.

Reading about Bush's keen desire to start yet another war—because the first is going so very well, you see—in Iran this time. One must assume that he and Cheney are clinically insane and/or suicidal. Presumably they think that we will all the good people will be ascending to Heaven any day now, so what they do in the meantime doesn't matter a fart. International law? nothing against God's Perfect Will as revealed exclusively to us. National laws? how dare you suggest that a politician be bound by such trivia. The populace? fuck 'em; the right-thinking (i.e. not thinking) ones will forgive all when they meet us in Heaven, and who cares what the others think.

And in case you're not yet steaming mad, read Naomi Klein on the privatisation of formerly public services. Funny how some names just keep on recurring: the same companies getting fat at your expense on no-competition, no-oversight, no-accountability government contracts in Iraq are the ones profiting from government cutbacks in the public sector. What a strange coincidence!

Bah.

Impeach the bastards now, while you still have the right to do so.

And because it's not all corruption and dishonour this week's PostSecret collection includes this photo, captioned "We are poor. And our kids don't know it." A reader commented
Once I was driving up Pacific Coast Highway on my way to work on a movie set at a mansion on the beach in Malibu. It was a nice day and there was a clunker of a car driving next to me with all the windows open. It was a 'poor' Mexican family. They were all smiling and singing. The father looked kind. The kids looked happy. I saw them and hoped that someday I would have a rich life like that.
Indeed.

Four down, twenty-six to go.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Zhoen said...

I have no more fury left about the political morass. Only despair. Why there have been no impeachments is beyond my comprehension.

Going to read Postsecret.

November 4, 2007 at 4:30:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Beth said...

Hi Udge - I hope the headache is better. Thinking about Bush and Cheney won't help, that's for sure. You can be sure that plenty of us in North America are going to do what we can to ensure they are soon history - but the damage they've done is incalculable.

November 5, 2007 at 2:21:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, too, believe in that type of richness.

November 5, 2007 at 8:19:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Udge said...

There is indeed goodness in the world, despite the best (worst) efforts of politicians and fanatics.

November 5, 2007 at 10:35:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger CarpeDM said...

Oh, God, I hate them. I hate them so much. The thing that kills me is that I am born again, I do believe that the Rapture will occur (but no clue when) but yet I don't feel the need to judge everyone or expect everyone to believe what I do. I hate that they (and other fanatics) give Jesus a bad name. Just pisses me off.

And do they not understand the seperation of church and state? How can you not get that, you facist idiots?

Okay, have to walk away now. Back to work. Have a good day.

November 6, 2007 at 4:30:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger CarpeDM said...

Oh, God, I hate them. I hate them so much. The thing that kills me is that I am born again, I do believe that the Rapture will occur (but no clue when) but yet I don't feel the need to judge everyone or expect everyone to believe what I do. I hate that they (and other fanatics) give Jesus a bad name. Just pisses me off.

And do they not understand the seperation of church and state? How can you not get that, you facist idiots?

Okay, have to walk away now. Back to work. Have a good day.

November 6, 2007 at 4:30:00 p.m. GMT+1  

Post a Comment

<< Home