Monday, October 29, 2007

The wee giftie

I have made a start on the translation for the Münsters. As a first step I corrected their previous English translations, remade the menu system in English and translated the startup screen that a user first sees. I packed this stuff together and sent it to them on Friday, thinking (to be honest) that it was a pretty thin effort, just about the bare minimum that I could do without being sacked on the spot for laziness.

The chief Münster (perhaps we'll call him the Münstermeister) phoned this morning to say that they were pleased and impressed with the speed and quality of my work. They are very happy to have made the decision to work with me, and eagerly await the next installment.

When we first spoke about the project, the Münstermeister hinted that there might be a possibility of full-time employment at the end of the contract if all goes well and subject to contract and etc. This morning he flat-out offered me the job, start whenever I like; please think it over, we'd love to have you on the team.

In other news Princess is planning a weekend of gluttony and mild exercise in France for her upcoming 49th birthday, staying overnight in the cells of a monastery near Strasbourg. Could be quite nice.

In musical news the song of the week is "Crocodile" by Underworld, from the recent-released album "Oblivion with bells." (It's a great album, by the way, the standard is very high. "Beautiful burnout" starts slowly but is nearly as good as "Crocodile," and "JAL to Tokyo" and "Best mamgu ever" are also quite pleasant. But "Crocodile" is the one to beat.) This is my candidate for Best Song Of 2007, it's been on repeat since I bought it on Friday. I bought this as a single from iTunes, so I cannot post it here, but would urgently recommend the song to your attention. Get onto iTunes and buy yourself a copy, turn it up painfully loud and dance. Wonderful!

The title? It's a nod towards a poem about a louse.

Labels: , , , , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Udge, that's awesome! Now the real question is, is it a job you want? Oh, I'm so happy when good things happen.

October 29, 2007 at 4:23:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger JoeinVegas said...

Congrats on making people (especially customers) happy! And a job too, yes, hope it is one you like.

October 29, 2007 at 5:36:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Diana said...

Doesn't it make you feel good to be appreciated?

Am I the only one who is struck by the oddness of a weekend of "gluttony and mild exercise" while lodging in a monk's cell? I look forward to reading the tale.

October 29, 2007 at 6:49:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Zhoen said...

Yeah! Udge!

October 30, 2007 at 10:51:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Udge said...

Actually, Diana, I've always suspected that monks and nuns were the epitomes of gluttony -- as soon as the visitors were gone and the doors shut.

Thanks for the congrats, dear friends.

October 31, 2007 at 12:32:00 a.m. GMT+1  

Post a Comment

<< Home