Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Different place, same rain

Bah.

I've moved to a huge room in Rose's raised-ground-floor apartment opposite the train tracks leaving the main station. Yes, it is quite loud, but although the noise and the rumbling vibration are annoying when I'm awake, they don't disturb my sleep. Rose and Axl have a very large apartment: two huge rooms, one large room, two smaller-but-still-quite-big-enough rooms, kitchen, bathroom, toilet, and a private cellar down an open stair in the hallway. It's located around the corner from AY's apartment, coincidentally; I haven't yet discovered a convenient way to get to work, but there must be a bus connection that would do the job.

One difference between Hamburg and Stuttgart, is the size of the windows. A window in Stuttgart is a relatively small thing which frames your body when you stand behind it; a couple hugging fills a window widthwise, and you couldn't stand on the sill without bumping your forehead on the lintel. A window in Hamburg is the size of the floor-area of my bathroom at home. Huge: both wide and high (with the corollary that pre-war buildings in Hamburg have enormously high ceilings, this room is well over four metres high). This gives you much more light indoors, and also an impression of openness which is quite pleasant.

Just to keep you up to date, I've worked 108 hours since August 1st; the allotted time is nearly up but we are nowhere near ready. Ingrid is still doing the last bits of design work, she still has all of the writing and someone else, possibly myself, still has all of the list-making to do, and the office would have to be clinically insane to release the tender docs without a third person having proofread them. Ingrid has formally requested my presence for a further week plus a day of Rose's time near the end; we shall see.

Executive summary: despite the rain, despite my annoyance with AY, I'm still enjoying the job and I'm still very happy in Hamburg. May you all be so lucky, my dears.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happiness is contagious in itself and I had a wonderful day too, today.

August 15, 2007 at 8:19:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Zhoen said...

LIfe is a mixed bag.

August 15, 2007 at 9:55:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Pacian said...

"this room is well over four metres high"

That would make me dizzy.

August 16, 2007 at 1:02:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Rob said...

And I thought Edinburgh ceilings were high. Actually, now I look up, the room I'm in is about 3.5m so not so very different.

August 17, 2007 at 7:09:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Lioness said...

Ooh, I like the windows! And also that you're still happy there - excellent news!

August 21, 2007 at 12:23:00 a.m. GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home