Sunday, July 29, 2007

On the roosting of chickens

I've just found in the pile of mail that arrived while I was in New York, a lawyer's letter informing me that my landlady has annulled our contract and wants me out of the apartment on the 31st of this month, i.e. the day after tomorrow. I've spoken to G's brother who studied law, and fear that she is legally in the right: if the rent is more than three months overdue the lease may be cancelled without notice. I shall see a proper lawyer on Monday but have no great hope of achieving more than a grace period of at best a few weeks; and even that is entirely at her discretion. Damn.

I've got to stop thinking about this. There's nothing I can do before tomorrow morning, if I sit here and think about this I'll have a bloody heart attack. Good work, Udge! Well done.

[Updated] well, it's possibly less dramatic than it first sounded. According to G's brother the process dissolves into thin air if I can pay the whole arrears plus incidental costs plus lawyers' costs within a month of issue of the demand. Which in itself suggests that telling me on the 18th to leave on the 31st is not entirely kosher, but that's beside the point. G and AY have both loaned me money against future earnings, and I have enough to pay all bills that I'm aware of tomorrow.

Still leaves me being idiot of the year, though. Damn.

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger nn said...

Perhaps you could call her and kindly explain the situation. She might give you a bit more time to leave the apartment if you are in good terms. I can understand your worries but I am sure that the friends who live nearby will offer you a place to sleep for a while.

Mistakes can happen to everyone - don't be too harsh on yourself.

Hugs.

July 29, 2007 at 9:11:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger nn said...

Don't call yourself that way.
Last year, for a similar act of carelessness, I was almost going to throw more than 1000 euros away (just needed to fill in a paper before a certain date). This year I haven't forgotten.

July 29, 2007 at 10:44:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Udge said...

Thank you for the kind words.

July 29, 2007 at 10:54:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Zhoen said...

Dear Udge,

Oh, dear.

July 29, 2007 at 11:04:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger moira said...

I'm glad things are looking a little better than they originally were. One thing at a time, eh?

July 29, 2007 at 11:46:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Diana said...

Oh shit! How horribly stressful. You have my profound sympathies and wishes for some sleep tonight.

July 30, 2007 at 1:04:00 a.m. GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home