Monday, June 04, 2007

Reading list for May 2007

Currently reading
J.K. Galbraith, The liberal hour
J.D. Salinger, Nine stories

Recently read
Nicholson Baker, The mezzanine
Alain de Botton, The architecture of happiness
Anne McCaffrey, Dragonsinger
    ditto, The dolphins of Pern
Terry Pratchett, Pyramids

It's a recurring surprise to me, how little I read when on holiday. Every time, anticipating long evenings and afternoons of nothing-to-do, I pack a half-dozen well chosen books and worry that they won't see me through to the end; every time, I carry most of them back unopened. The only books I read in Spain were Pyramids and The architecture of happiness, an investigation into the ways that architecture and design can enrich or bedevil our lives (recommended); I read three books in three days while in Lisboa, and most of the Galbraith between planes in Bilbao on the way home.

To be fair to myself, I did read a New Yorker and three TLS's as well. I have a love/hate relationship with the TLS, there is so much of such excellent quality in it, that it is in the end a frustration and an annoyance to be shown how many wonderful books there are which I shall never get around to reading.

Next month's list
Last month's list

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger JoeinVegas said...

Most issues of the New Yorker could count as a book.
Still seems like a lot of reading when you could have been wandering.

June 5, 2007 at 4:21:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger CarpeDM said...

Heh. When I was in Lisbon, I read about 9 books. I read while Beth blogged. Since Johnny was either at school or asleep when we woke up, it worked out well. Of course, my books are usually popular fiction because I find that is much more enjoyable for me.

What's a TLS?

June 5, 2007 at 6:12:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Udge said...

Joe: yeah, the New Yorker is a big read. I usually have several months' backlog waiting for me.

DM: the TLS is the Time Literary Supplement, a weekly book-review sub-print of the London Times newspaper. It has the best reviews (by experts in the particular field and/or professional writers, rather than by professional critics) of the most interesting and unusual books. The typical TLS review is so good, deep, comprehensive, that one hardly needs to read the book itself afterwards.

June 5, 2007 at 6:20:00 p.m. GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home