Saturday, June 02, 2007

Home, in a way

At least, that's the theory. In fact it feels oddly in-between. I recognize it as the place where I live, have lived for fourteen years, but being here is somehow strange and uncomfortable after three weeks away under such unusual circumstances. I've been here for a full day and a bit, slept well but not excessively, but still didn't manage more than a tiny bit of shopping and some blogreading. Haven't even put my dirty clothes into the washing machine; won't do that now either, because the programme runs for over an hour and I have no intention of being up that late. Nor have I written any e-mails: please wait another day, my dears.

Bought a power supply for Burton, to replace the original which I left in the hotel in Santo Domingo de la Calzada. This is of course bigger, heavier and uglier than the original Apple design: a yak instead of a gazelle. Sigh. Serves me right for not giving the room one last look-over after packing in a hurry.

Lisboa was great fun, I would dearly love to go back one day. There was a general strike called for the 30th, which was also cloudy and cold, so it became a reading day with an evening pilgrimage to the english-language-books department of Fnac. On the 31st, I walked to the cathedral and a few churches, climbed the hill at Graça stopping at a lovely bookshop and several lookout points; then took the tram to Belém and saw the monastery and monument to the Navigator, then walked along the river for over an hour looking for a train station that didn't exist. Lousy tourist map. Bah. Didn't get to Cascais, that will have to be left as a goal for the next trip.

We did indeed go to "the fish eggs restaurant," Dana, but they were out of fish eggs so I had to be content with black pork which was truly delicious, almost the high point of the trip. Lioness' lamb chops were also very good.

Yesterday's Friday Favourite is a song from the last music quiz, which had your musical educations not been so sadly limited ought to have been guessed during the initial seconds of quizzery. For shame, people! Here's the song and a link to the album. Enjoy.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger rb said...

haha, udge, I'm surprised I didn't get the song, that album was in heavy rotation during my older son's high school days

thanks for the reminisce, said son left for china yesterday and I miss him already

glad you're home and safe

June 3, 2007 at 2:03:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Zhoen said...

I'm finding it so strange that I feel so utterly at home after being away for three years, never intending to return. And yet.

June 3, 2007 at 3:02:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger CarpeDM said...

I'm glad you had a good time. I am working on my Portugal scrapbooks right now (yes, a little late) and it is nice to look back and remember but I so want to go back.

Fish eggs avoided! Yay (Johnny thinks they are lovely, of course, but I'm not really a fish person)! I loved that restaurant. Sometimes I dream about the veal I had.

June 5, 2007 at 6:16:00 p.m. GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home