Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Wikimeme

Because I'm too tired and lazy to write a proper blogthingy tonight (borrowed with thanks from Zhoen and Pacian):

1. Go to wikipedia and type in your birthday, month and day only.
OK, done that.

2. List events that occurred on that day that interest you.
1099 - the siege of Jerusalem (First Crusade) begins.
1654 - Louis XIV is crowned King of France.
1800 - David Thompson reaches the mouth of the Saskatchewan River in Manitoba.
1893 - Gandhi's first act of civil disobedience.
1982 - Priscilla Presley opens Graceland to the public; the bathroom where Elvis Presley died five years earlier is kept off-limits.

3. List a few birthdays.
1778 - Beau Brummell, English fashion leader
1879 - Knud Rasmussen, Greenland-born explorer
1940 - Tom Jones, Welsh singer
1958 - Prince, American musician
1981 - Anna Kournikova, Russian tennis player

4. List a few deaths.
1329 - Robert the Bruce, King of Scotland
1866 - Chief Seattle, Native American leader
1954 - Alan Turing, British mathematician and computer scientist
1970 - E. M. Forster, English author
1980 - Henry Miller, American writer

5. List a holiday or observance. (if any)
Roman Empire - first day of the Vestalia.
The feast days of Saints Godoald, Fortunatus, Maximinus, Procopius, Robert, Servatius and Wulstan, not to mention the Blessed Willibald.

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the blog that you have. I was wondering if you would link my blog to yours and in return I would do the same for your blog. If you want to, my site name is American Legends and the URL is:

www.americanlegends.info

If you want to do this just go to my blog and in one of the comments just write your blog name and the URL and I will add it to my site.

Thanks,
David

March 21, 2007 at 12:49:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Zhoen said...

Love that you put the seige of Jerusalem.

I had a hard time with the famous births/deaths not just using actors or other pointless celebrities.

March 21, 2007 at 2:03:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Unknown said...

the Blessed Willibald, eh? Now there's a blog name just begging to be used ... :> ... i've shamelessly nicked this meme, matie

March 21, 2007 at 4:37:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Udge said...

David, I'm sorry to say that I won't be linking to your blog. I only place links to blogs that I actually read on a regular basis, and I have no interest in American sports. Sorry.

Zhoen, Kournikova was an "edge condition" for me: clearly she's become a close-to-meaningless celebrity, but she was once a good tennis player and that is the only sport that I semi-follow.

Late, Willibald is wonderful, isn't he? I'll have find a role for him somehow, somewhere...

March 21, 2007 at 10:07:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Blogger CarpeDM said...

I have done this before but I can't remember anything about it. My friend Bryan got Tchyo Brae (?) and that was interesting...gold nose, check. Pet monkey, check. Small statured jester, check. I may have to look into the Blessed Willibald. I'm intrigued.

March 21, 2007 at 3:45:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Pacian said...

Tycho Brahe... without him, where would Kepler have been?

Somehow, I always thought Kournikova was younger than me.

1893 - Gandhi's first act of civil disobedience.

This is the coolest result for all the people that I've seen do this.

March 21, 2007 at 8:12:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger * said...

Turing, Miller and Forster died at your birthday. Now what should tell this, Turing, udge, I mean Turing. Udge are you a reborn Turing :)?

March 21, 2007 at 8:52:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Udge said...

I'd rather be a reborn Miller, I think that of the two M had vastly more fun in his life.

March 21, 2007 at 10:41:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger brooksba said...

Seriously, love the fact you share a birthday with Tom Jones. Is it wrong that I adore him?

March 22, 2007 at 6:26:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Udge said...

It's not unusual ;-)

March 22, 2007 at 8:11:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Unknown said...

bwahahahaaaaaaaaaa ... you two should go onstage ... lol

March 22, 2007 at 3:30:00 p.m. GMT+1  

Post a Comment

<< Home