Thursday, March 15, 2007

On having peculiar feet

Not that I'd ever known that they were peculiar, mind you. They have the right number of toes, and are located one at the end of each leg as is customary; they even both face forwards—more or less.

And that "more or less" is the problem. My toes point outwards, away from the centreline of true forwards, and my ankles bend inwards. I also stand with my feet relatively wide apart, which encourages the inward-leaningness of my ankles.

It was absolutely fascinating to see this demonstrated on-screen as I walked on the treadmill. A little lightbulb went on in my head as the orthopedist said that this posture puts an extra stress on the knees: my knees hurt like Hell after the stair-climbing this morning.

So. I have a set of exercises to perform (psychological: keep your feet straight in the direction of travel by imagining that you are wearing four-metre-long skis, and practical to strengthen and stretch the barely-used outside tendons of my knees (Lioness or Zhoen will tell us the name :-)) and a pair of shoe inlays to force encourage my ankles nearer to upright.

And I have a pair of walking boots. It's early days yet, of course, I haven't yet worn them outside or for more than a few minutes, but they were by far the most comfortable shoes in the shop: only mildly ugly, light, firm but not inflexible, good rolling motion, roomy around the toes without being loose, well padded around the ankle and Achilles tendon.

I would strongly encourage any German readers (of whom there are none, but you never know who might be arriving via Google) to patronise SportScheck: great service, the right goods at the right price, excellent advice.

Watch this space for updates, perhaps I'll put up a "kilometres walked" ticker.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger SavtaDotty said...

You are lucky to have discovered this now. It may save you all kind of musculo-skeletal problems over the years. I speak from experience.

March 15, 2007 at 7:20:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger CarpeDM said...

It is a good thing to discover this and I'm sure savtadotty's right about it saving you from future problems. Meanwhile you've given me something else to obsess about. Do I have peculiar feet? Is that what's causing all my problems?

Forgot to mention on the last post that I adore the picture. It's beautiful.

March 15, 2007 at 8:03:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Zhoen said...

Know that the adjustment period can be painful. It was when I started wearing arch supports. A plastic pop/water bottle, 3/4 full of water, frozen, makes for a nice ice massage for the inevitable arch aches. It is so worth it, though. Good luck.

March 16, 2007 at 1:06:00 a.m. GMT+1  

Post a Comment

<< Home