Friday, March 09, 2007

With a tear in my eye and a smile on my lips

... I have just written a letter of resignation to G and U. It's time to move on; I have no idea where to go or what to do, but I shall go mad and/or kill them and/or destroy our friendship if I remain there.

I don't know whether to cry or laugh about this. I am very glad to leave the poisonous atmosphere of the office; on the other hand I will miss them (I can still see them as basically nice people and wish to leave before that too sours) and I will definitely miss the money.

And that's all I have to say about that.

[Updated: it's exactly a year since this post! Isn't that amazing.]

I shall now swallow two more aspirins, rub some Tiger Balm into my forehead, and go for a long walk. I woke with a headache which is getting worse. Bah.

[Updated again, 23:11] I am very curious and a tiny bit anxious how G and U will react tomorrow when they read the letter. It's odd that after thirteen years of working together almost daily, I am unsure of what to expect. Actually it's a false, Heisenbergian, uncertainty: I know that the reaction will be either pained surprise or furious rage—depending on whether G (hurt) or U (rage) opens the mail.

Dear me, I nearly forgot to post the Friday Favourite, which comes from this album.

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Jean said...

Good for you!! Early spring is a great time for new directions.

March 9, 2007 at 11:00:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Blogger nn said...

Did you send the letter? Even if you did, if G and U succeed in convincing you to stay, you might not leave after all.

Hope you'll feel better after the walk.

March 9, 2007 at 12:58:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Udge said...

May: yes, I did post it too. And the address was correct and the envelope was properly stamped. It had to be written, if I'd tried to tell them face-to-face, I would have stayed on another number of miserable years.

Jean: thanks. I shall be watching my own future career with great interest.

March 9, 2007 at 3:08:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger nn said...

You did the right thing.
A partner or a friend (or Mom) should take care of you in this phase of transition.

March 9, 2007 at 5:20:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was listening to the song "You've come a long way, baby" (I call it "praise you") by Fatboy Slim when I read this post. I gasped out loud and praised you for having survived through the hard times and the good! And then I cried.

Because life is weird I came upon a note with your phone number on it two minutes earlier (yes, it's true - I don't have my brother's 15 digit phone number memorized) and I had to stop myself from calling you right now and waking you up.

and then the song "Imagine" came on...

March 10, 2007 at 1:18:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Zhoen said...

Congratulations, and great encouragement. Tis the season for change and upset.

March 10, 2007 at 2:15:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so glad that you sister is there for you. She seems to be a sweet, caring girl.
How are you today?

March 10, 2007 at 8:10:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, good luck! I can't wait to hear what happens next for you. :-)

March 10, 2007 at 1:29:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Udge said...

Thanks for all the encouragement, I appreciate it very much. It's a very sensitive time: this is like dissolving a marriage, we've worked together and taken holidays together for thirteen years. I want to find an outcome where we can remain friends without remaining in this working relationship which has become deeply psychotic.

Sis, a special thanks to you for introducing me to Fatboy Slim who had somehow stayed below my radar. Great song! it's already on my iPod.

March 10, 2007 at 10:49:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, good luck Udge! I've never looked back on similar decisions in my own life - something good will come next. Take good acre of yourself in the transition time.

March 11, 2007 at 2:59:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Blogger SavtaDotty said...

Udge, For some strange reason this post and subsequent ones until yesterday slipped off my RSS feed, so I had no idea such a drastic event was taking place. It seems you managed to get through it without my intervention. Congratulations!

March 16, 2007 at 11:17:00 p.m. GMT+1  

Post a Comment

<< Home