Saturday, March 10, 2007

Calm

Fringed white tulips
whiteTulip1
Originally uploaded by udge.
Had a pleasant day walking around downtown successfully doing Stuff while avoiding doing some other Stuff.

My cellphone has had an irritating buzz since I dropped it some weeks back, which finally overcame my "it's just a tool" reluctance to spend money on telecommunications. I went to the Vodaphone shop and said "I'm a Vodaphone customer, I want to get a new phone but keep my current number and contract." He said "No, that's impossible, you have to get a new contract." I said words to the effect of "goodbye" and left.

I went to the Telekomm shop next door and said "I'm a Vodaphone customer, I want to get a new phone but keep my current number." He said "ooh, tricky. You have to break the contract with them, transfer the number to us, and get a new contract with a 24-month this and a thirty-euro that..." at which point I said words to the effect of "goodbye" and left.

I went to the Mobilcom shop across the street and said "I'm a Vodaphone customer, I want to get a new phone but keep my current number and contract." She said, "Sure, how about this one?" She broke open the shrinkwrapped box (oh my God! fire her at once!) unwrapped the battery (sacrilege!) and loaded my card into the phone. It said "Hi Udge, wanna call somebody?" I said "Sold!"

She then got all worried and pointed out that it's "just" a phone: no camera, no MP3 player, no Interwebs, no videos, no games. Perfect! Just what I wanted. Fifty Euros and worth every penny.

I strongly encourage any German readers in need of a new phone to visit Mobilcom, for instance the branch in the Schulstrasse 13 in Stuttgart.

In other news G phoned half an hour ago, sounding quite subdued; about as close to meek as an architect can ever get (we are a notoriously proud bunch). They were surprised and shocked and saddened by my letter, and would like to discuss it tomorrow over coffee. Okay.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha! We've got the same phone!
Good luck with the, er, discussion tomorrow.

March 10, 2007 at 6:34:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder if they will win you back.

March 10, 2007 at 8:26:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Pacian said...

I need a new phone myself.

*sigh*

Germany isn't that far away, I guess.

March 10, 2007 at 10:23:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger * said...

good luck,udge. Such conversations never are easy. Hope all goes well and it has an ok outcome, independently of whether you stay there or not.

March 10, 2007 at 10:24:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Zhoen said...

Lovely white tulip.

It's companies who know how to make their employees the experts, who focus on why they do their job, not how. Yeah. Plain old phone.

Subdued, eh? Good. Don't go back. Never go back. Always on.

March 10, 2007 at 10:29:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Udge said...

Thank you, my dears. FWIW the job will in any case continue until I walk across Spain in May, I said in the letter that I'd see this project out.

After that? I don't see a future there because I cannot see any possibility of change in their characters and relationship (or indeed mine) so fur would continue to fly. Given that there's no future, why hang on?

March 10, 2007 at 10:44:00 p.m. GMT+1  

Post a Comment

<< Home