Monday, January 01, 2007

Strange New Year

This is actually the second post of 2007: I took down an earlier post, written at 6am after returning home drunk from a ten-hour party, because I don't find it or the circumstances funny any more.

I slept for about three hours after writing that post, then woke up with my right calf knotted into an excruciatingly painful cramp, which still hurts eleven hours later. I got out of bed and nearly fell over: I was so drunk that I could not stand upright. I staggered towards the bathroom fearing that I would have to vomit, and blacked out halfway there.

I woke up on my back in the hallway, freezing cold and disorientated, having been unconscious for about half an hour. I could not get up, every attempt to change position made my head whirl and my stomach heave. I worked my way on my back into the living room and nudged the thermostat up with my fingertips, still unable to get up, then fell back to the floor and slept or was unconscious for another half hour. When I woke up again, the flat was warmer and the dizziness had passed. I washed my face, went back to bed and slept until noon.

I am shocked and appalled at the state I was in, and frightened by what might have happened: Jimi Hendrix, anybody?

I have taken an executive decision: drunkenness isn't funny, and drunk blogging isn't cute. Neither of those will be seen here again. Here's a fifth New Year's Resolution: no more than three glasses of alcoholic beverages at any party, no matter how long or what the occasion might be. Basta.

And how was your day?

12 Comments:

Blogger * said...

poor udge, I hope you feel better. We are jolly well all not 20 anymore...

January 1, 2007 at 9:50:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Zhoen said...

Yeah, I had one of those New Years. Funny how throwing up blood will jerk awareness. At the insistance of doctors, I gave up all alcohol, for five years as it turned out. And I have never gotten drunk again, only lightly buzzed, occasionally.

If that leg is still hurting, you may want to get it seen to. Could be a clot, which can get dangerous. Careful nutrition and rehydration is a good idea as well.

January 1, 2007 at 11:27:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger * said...

as the experienced partygoeer knows: Magnesium is good against such cramp things....
Frohes Neues Udge.

January 1, 2007 at 11:50:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger rb said...

i'm so sorry you had that awful experience, udge, and i'm glad you got through it

here's to a better year, and to taking better care of ourselves

January 2, 2007 at 8:08:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Blogger John said...

My latest entry was for you Udge (and anyone else who could relate). Have a wonder and sober 2007!

January 2, 2007 at 3:08:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger brooksba said...

Yikes! I'm glad you're safe and sound now.

January 2, 2007 at 8:46:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Lioness said...

Oh no, how awful, poor you! I'm so happy you didn't choke to death, can't even begin to tell you how much. I like the udginess in my life.

Smooches, frihes neues Jahr indeed!

January 2, 2007 at 10:17:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Udge said...

Thanks for the good wishes, dear friends. The experience was, shall we say, interesting.

January 3, 2007 at 10:45:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Dale said...

Ah. I remember vividly the New Year's that finally tipped the scale, though I will never blog about it. I don't do New Year's, anymore, and I don't get drunk. Not worth it.

Oddly enough, I think I was about your age when I quit.

January 4, 2007 at 6:19:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Udge said...

Dale, we're the same age :-) If I remember correctly, you are three months older. How old did you think I am?

January 4, 2007 at 8:36:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Blogger CarpeDM said...

How about tipsy blogging? Is that okay?

I've not much tolerance for alcohol anymore, mainly because I've had a few of these nights back in my 20's. Plus, I don't need to be drunk to act silly.

January 4, 2007 at 7:24:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Aleah Sato said...

I don't drink anymore, mostly because I spent one too many nights in a similar state. I am glad to hear you're still in one piece and have a better appreciation for your limitations.

January 13, 2007 at 9:02:00 p.m. GMT+1  

Post a Comment

<< Home