Sunday, December 31, 2006

Five Things and a Video

I'm short of time again, so we'll play the now world-famous Five Things You Don't Know About Me meme. (The original specified that the things should be "interesting," well I can't promise that.)

1. I wash myself in the shower in an absolute and unvarying sequence, starting at the left armpit: upper torso, left arm, right arm, neck and shoulders, left leg, right leg, gonads, lower back, upper back, shampoo, face.

2. I hate shoes. I hate the way they look, I hate the way they feel, I hate the way my feet sweat in them in summer and freeze in them in winter; but more than that I hate buying them. When I find a pair of shoes that neither hurt my feet nor make small children cry and dogs bark, I wear them until they are worn through - and then buy another identical pair. My current favourites are Clarks, really dull and boring; I'm on my third fourth pair.

2a. I think that monotony ("really dull and boring") is grossly undervalued as an organizing principle. I strive for monotony in my database work: things should look like what they do, and two things that do the same task should have the same appearance.

3. I sometimes wonder whether my liking such a wide variety of music and literature isn't a sign of lack of taste (an inability to discriminate).

4. I deliberately don't do many things at home that I enjoy out-of-house. I shall never buy an espresso-maker, for instance, because that would spoil the special-event-ness of getting dressed and leaving the house to have a cappuccino; although I love Bratkartoffeln, I've never tried to make them.

5. I sometimes feel that I'm the biggest fraud on earth, and am about to be justly exposed to the world's ridicule.

And now, the video One of the oddest German traditions at New Year is watching a particular short film on TV. It's a classic, every good German knows every word of it by heart; every station broadcasts it at least once today, and every good German will watch it at least once today.

What's odd about that, you might ask? Well, two things. First, the film is in English and is broadcast without dubbing or subtitles, but even people who don't speak English (e.g. G's parents) love the film and watch it every year. Secondly, although the film was made from an English script and features English actors, no English person of my acquaintance has ever heard of it!

Without further ado, "The 90th birthday party, or Dinner for one."

Happy New Year, my dears.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Lioness said...

I'd never heard of this movie, how odd! still, I only had the one Silvester there, and my host family are not much into watching telly, capitalist evil that it is.

Have a very Happy New Year, Udge! I loved your list.

December 31, 2006 at 2:47:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Zhoen said...

New one on me, but then even well known Brit tv doesn't always make it's way here. Had me laughing harder and harder.


Let's see, you hate shoes, but take no time to make sure they fit properly, take the first pair that seems close and wear it to death, then replace it with an identical crappy pair. You sound so much like D, until I got him to a podiatrist. He has ceased to hate shoes, since educating himself and treating it as a job that must be done properly. Try a running shop, if they have such things there, get your gait examined, proper shoe suggested and fit, and you will have much less trouble later.

Think you hate shoe shopping? Imagine having to have a podiatrist shave your corns every month.

December 31, 2006 at 5:47:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger brooksba said...

What a funny video and I've never heard of it either!

Your list is fun. This is going to sound strange, but do you not wash your right armpit?

I think not doing some things at home to be able to enjoy the thrill of going out is a great idea for life.

Happy New Year! I hope 2007 brings happiness and wonderful times to you!

December 31, 2006 at 9:53:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger * said...

I agree with you on the shoes and the monotony...when I find shoes I like I always buy two pairs of it...
Dinner for one is really funny, it is like you say when I used to live in Germany we watched it at least one or two times that very evening....same procedure...funnily even tho everyone has seen the film a zillion times, when you ask people in the summer who the guests were, no one really can name all the four names....one is always missing, in general Mr.Pommeroy :)

January 1, 2007 at 9:59:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Rob said...

I'd heard of it but only via one of those programmes (Tarrant on TV or such) where they show odd TV clips from around the world. (After which I quizzed people I know in Germany.)

I wondered about the right armpit as well.

And your number 5 strikes a chord....

January 3, 2007 at 1:22:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Rob said...

Sorry Udge - forgot to wish you a Happy New 2007!

January 3, 2007 at 1:32:00 a.m. GMT+1  

Post a Comment

<< Home