Saturday, December 23, 2006

Christmas Eve Eve

Had a pleasant day today, shopping and hanging about during the afternoon and a concert with Slim in the evening. The atmosphere in the city was quite pleasant today, relaxed and friendly and easy-going, even though the streets were nearly as crowded with shoppers as Friday had been.

The concert was in a church in Bad Cannstat, on the other side of the river: Aaron Copeland's "Quiet City," a moody and thoughtful short piece, very nice late-night stuff; and J.S.Bach's "Christmas Oratorium," which hardly needs me to add to its reknown. Well played and sung by an ambitious-amateur choir and chamber orchestra.

And there still hasn't been a frost! (It is currently below zero out at the airport, but that's a thousand feet higher and out on the flatland. Down here in the valley it's still above zero.) My sister reports -5°C and only a small amount of snow, both of which are worryingly unusual for the time of year. When I was there in 2004, I arrived two days after a storm that deposited a metre of snow overnight. There were snowbanks taller than a house in every parking lot, most streets still hadn't been ploughed.

So, I shall be here for Christmas Eve (which is the significant day in Germany, everything stops while everyone stays home), and then to G's family in the Schwarzwald for a few days. And that means, dear reader, that there will be an interruption in service. Sigh. 55 days in a row, how sad to break the run—but there's no chance of getting online down there.

7 Comments:

Blogger Zhoen said...

Well, merry eve eve. You will be missed.

December 24, 2006 at 4:45:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Blogger brooksba said...

Merry Christmas! I hope you have a wonderful holiday, full of pleasant moments and wonderful memories to be formed.

I'm jealous of the "no frost." Tonight brought a thick coating of the stuff here.

December 24, 2006 at 10:49:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Blogger CarpeDM said...

Merry Christmas! I kind of like frost because it means I get to scrape the windows. I suppose this will get annoying if I ever get a car of my own.

December 24, 2006 at 6:29:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger alan said...

Merry Christmas Udge. Quiet City is one of my favourite pieces of music, but even better is the quiet of the countryside in winter, which you'll hopefully experience in the Schwarzwald.

December 24, 2006 at 11:36:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Frohes Fest, Udge. Have a good time.
No snow here either, ten degrees....but it is after all close to the sea. There was maybe one night or so below zero.

December 25, 2006 at 4:02:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Rob said...

Have a great Christmas, Udge, and a happy new year. No snow here in Edinburgh, but quite a bit of fog (airport still working though).

I love "Quiet City". I persuaded my orchestra to do it a couple of years back, and they all seemed to like it too.

December 25, 2006 at 5:01:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Blogger JoeinVegas said...

Yes, Happy Christmas and merry eve to you - (but by now it's past midnight there, sorry I missed it for you).
Due for 16c here tomorrow - no show for us this Christmas. Maybe next week.

December 25, 2006 at 6:26:00 a.m. GMT+1  

Post a Comment

<< Home