Monday, October 02, 2006

Trivia

I've spent most of the day on the internet, catching up on all the blogreading I didn't do during the fortnight in Toronto. Sigh. I loves me some DSL, yassuh.

Tag courtesy of Zhoen.

The Rules of this tag game are:
1. Grab the book nearest to you...no cheating!
2. Open to page 123.
3. Scroll down to the fifth sentence.
4. Post text of next 3 sentences on to your blog.

"Well, Clare, there's nothing wrong with my legs."
"Okay, then, we'll go to the Orchard." I take her arm, and away we go.


Audrey Niffenegger, "The time traveller's wife"

Mini-Rant

I Despise and Abhor the American Print Media's Habit of Capitalising Every Word in a Headline or Title. It is Ugly, Affected and Hard to Read.

Dilbert

The difference between men and women is tellingly illustrated.

Another rant

What is it that gives smokers their sense of absolute entitlement? The first thing I registered in Europe, the first thing that told me that I was indeed in Europe, was the sight of a half-dozen smokers sitting in the NONSMOKING section of the Munich airport cafe, puffing blithely away. The smoking section was of course nearly empty. One person (not myself) dared to point this out, the response was - and I quote precisely and at full length - "fuck you." Charming.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Zhoen said...

Ha! What an odd excerpt.

I am so with you about smokers, who obviously have no idea how much they stink, actually and metaphorically.

I always read the Random capitalization like an 18th century novel subtitle.

October 3, 2006 at 1:08:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger CarpeDM said...

Zhoen, exactly. That's why I do it with my post titles, because it reminds me of the way people used to write in the 18th century, willy-nilly capitalization. It makes me laugh to myself every time I do it.

As a smoker, I protest that blatant display of jackassery. It's people like that that give the rest of us a bad name. Kind of like how Bush makes normal Christians look bad. Sigh.

I saw that Dilbert. Very true.

October 3, 2006 at 5:09:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger JoeinVegas said...

OK, grabbed my book. Not as interesting as yours, but somewhat deeper.

October 3, 2006 at 10:02:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Zhoen said...

carpedm,

My apologies. But I have had so many smokers in my face lately, self-important and obnoxious. The masses of butts all over the ground wherever I go. Not to mention the complications I see at work from that nasty addiction. It is a choice that angers me past reason, past social niceties. I am willing to believe you are a considerate smoker, but you are then one in a million.

Please stop smoking, for your sake, for the sake of those who love you, for the sake of your world. Stop giving your money to Big Tobacco.

Udge, sorry for getting on your blog/soapbox.

October 3, 2006 at 11:24:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger brooksba said...

I think you've pointed out a decent difference between the society in North America and Europe. Most smokers in America are afraid of the reprecussion of being caught smoking where they shouldn't.

The random capitalization is unique.

October 10, 2006 at 8:31:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Udge said...

Yep, there would be - and were - no repercussions here. 97.3% of the population smokes (or so it seems) so the non-smokers are the ones who must apologise for their strange and antisocial habit.

October 10, 2006 at 10:31:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Little Light said...

Not sure I agree with the Dilbert cartoon - maybe because I sit next to the world's biggest and loudest complainer who happens to be a woman. I have to think about it.

The capitalization thing - hmmm, funny I never thought about it like that except that I was always taught to do it that way and sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. What do you think about the letter Z - or what do you call it, Zed?

October 11, 2006 at 12:53:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Udge said...

LL, "Zed" is correct (according to my upbringing and taste).

I took the Dilbert as a poke in the side of at quick-results, target-fixated, emotionally-repressed, work-and-private-life-separating monosyllabic males.

October 15, 2006 at 10:19:00 p.m. GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home