Saturday, September 16, 2006

Son of Twenty-Five (the second music quiz)

[Updated on Sept. 16] I've added the rest of the first stanza to the as yet unguessed songs.

Because it was so much fun last time, and to bridge the gap until I can get back online, here is a re-run of the famous 25 first lines quiz. It's slightly different in content than last time, I chose favourite songs from my collection rather than letting my iPod make a random selection. There is a significant omission (in terms of the balance of my tastes): the blues is missing. The vast majority of blues songs have no real title, they're known by the first line of the lyrics which of course ruins them for this quiz.

Your challenge, dear readers, is to identify the title and artist. Post your answers (or guesses) in the comments, and I'll mark the lines as people correctly identify them. I'll give you one hint to start off with: there is a significant amount of overlap between this set and the previous quiz, because much of my collection is wordless or in languages other than English (a goodly amount is in languages that I don't even speak: Latin, Wolof, Mandinka, Sonrhaï).

The rules are simple: Googling the lyrics when you haven't a clue is cheating, that should be obvious. Googling the title of a song when you can't remember the name of the band, or the name of the album when you can't remember the title of the song, is OK; however if by doing so you find out that you were wrong, then honour would require that you not submit it.

Off you go:

1. (spoken) After I jumped it occurred to me: life is perfect
    (sung) You take a stranger by the hand
    A man who doesn't understand
    His wildest dreams

    U2, "Never let me go" - Noorster

2. Come, come and dry your eyes
    before the morning sun arrives
    Kiss, everybody is a star
    no matter who or what they are
    Jesus and Mary Chain, "Till it shines"

3. (spoken) Do you know the warm progress under the stars?
    Do you know we exist?
    Have you forgotten the keys to the kingdom?
    Have you been born yet & are you alive?
    Jim Morrison, "An American prayer"

4. Every time I start loving you
    oh you make me so satisfied
    and every time I call your name
    oh I feel it so deep inside
    James 'Blood' Ulmer, "I can tell"

5. I hold this letter in my hand
    a plea, a petition, a kind of prayer
    I hope it goes as I have planned
    losing her again is more than I can stand
    Nick Cave, "Love letter"

6. If they dropped the bomb, would you love me then?
    If I was wrong, would it be okay?
    Well I can see the holes in everyone
    Matthew Good Band, "Change of season"

7. If you see me walking down the street
    (written by) Burt Bacharach, "Walk on by" - CarpeDM

8. It brings a tear into my eyes
    when I begin to realize
    oh I cry so hard, lord, since you've been gone
    look like I'm gonna (title)
    Johnny Winter, "Drown in my own tears"

9. It was a pretty big year for fashion
    Don Henley, "In the garden of Allah" - Kirsten

10. It's been seven hours and fifteen days
    (written by) Prince, "Nothing compares 2 U" - CarpeDM

11. Mama, take this badge off of me
    Bob Dylan, "Knockin' on heaven's door" - Dale

12. Readying to bury your father and your mother
    REM, "Sweetness follows" - Anxious

13. Saw your friend working in this hotel
    Neil Young, "Truth to tell" - Kirsten

14. She wakes up early every morning
    Hollies, "too young to be married" - Antonia
    Crystal Waters, "Gypsy woman" aka "Homeless"

15. Sun's up, mm-hm, looks okay
    the world survives into another day
    and I'm thinking about eternity
    some kind of ecstasy got a hold on me
    Bruce Cockburn, "Wondering where the lions are"

16. Sweet as Mary out of sheer love
    runs the water
    clean and beautiful
    leaves it standing on a Sunday
    here's the ritual
    Golden Palominos, "Pure"

17. There is lambswool under my naked feet
    the wool is soft and warm, gives off some kind of heat.
    A salamander scurries into flame to be destroyed,
    imaginary creatures are trapped at birth on celluloid.
    Genesis, "Carpet crawlers"

18. Union Station, tombstone high
    No more tears, this fountain dry
    Nameless faces, just headlines
    We don't ride that train no more
    Daniel Lanois, "Death of a train"

19. Well I wanna know, man is Elvis alive?
    yeah I gotta know, man, is Elvis alive?
    I gotta cut through all this tabloid jive
    Mojo Nixon, "(619) 239 K-I-N-G"

20. Well, it's time to begin as the summer sets in
    It's the scene that you set for new lovers
    You play your part painting it a new heart
    But each gate will open another
    Feist, "Gatekeeper"

21. Whatever happened to Leon Trosky?
    The Stranglers, "No more heroes" - Alan

22. When your spine is cracking and your hands, they shake
    Rolling Stones, "Ventilator blues" - Alan

23. Yeah, I take my baby down to the street
    and I buy him a soda-pop
    He's so sweet
    Sonic Youth, "Washing machine"

24. You know who I am, he said
    The speaker was an angel
    he coughed and shook his crumpled wings
    closed his eyes and moved his lips.
    "It's time we should be going."

    David Bowie, "Look back in anger" - Ill man

25. You look so good to me
    here in this old saloon
    way back in west Berlin
    a bottle of white wine
    Iggy Pop, "Fall in love with me"

Labels: ,

21 Comments:

Blogger Anxious said...

"12. Readying to bury your father and your mother"

Sweetness follows - REM

September 12, 2006 at 2:15:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger CarpeDM said...

7. If you see me walking down the street with tears in my eyes, walk on by. Walk on by. Make believe that you don't see me something or another.

Walk on by - Dionne Warwick. Great. I'm going to have this stuck in my all day.

10. It's been seven hours and fifteen days

Nothing Compares 2 U - Sinead O'Connor (I hate that spelling but it's how the song is so what do you do?)

I blame you, Udge, for when I break into song in front of shareholders.

September 12, 2006 at 4:07:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Zhoen said...

11. is a Cream song, I can hear Eric Clapton singing it, do not know the name of the song. That is the only one I have any clue on. But you did inspire a post from me.

September 12, 2006 at 8:54:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Dale said...

11. Mama, take this badge off of me

Dylan, Knocking on Heaven's Door

This is maddening -- I know I know half of these, but I can't quite get to them :-)

September 12, 2006 at 9:08:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger alan said...

21 - Stranglers - No More Heroes

September 13, 2006 at 1:11:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger alan said...

oh, and 22 is from Exile on Main Street by the Stones but I can't remember the song title ...

September 13, 2006 at 1:16:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Udge said...

Well, we're off to a fine start.

Anxious: yes indeed.

CarpeDM: both correct. Tell the customers that it's live entertainment and charge them extra :-)

Zhoen: dozens of artists have recorded it so I would have been fairly generous in awarding points, but Dale crossed the line first.

Dale: well done.

Alan: both are basically correct, but you need the name of #22 to get full marks :-)

September 13, 2006 at 4:45:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger alan said...

ventilator blues :)

September 14, 2006 at 12:07:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Udge said...

Alan ties DM for the lead with two points!

September 14, 2006 at 6:25:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Kirsten said...

Hey Udge - hope all's well. :)

9 - Don Henley, "In the garden of allah"

13 - Neil Young "Truth to be known"

25 - Can't be Billy Joel, "You look so good to me" can it? That would be too easy.

September 14, 2006 at 9:23:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

14. hollies - too young to be married

September 15, 2006 at 12:04:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

#1 is definitely from the Million Dollar Hotel soundtrack, but I can't for the life of me recall the song that line precedes....

September 15, 2006 at 12:25:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Udge said...

Kirsten, you got two out of three. The quoted lyrics may not contain the title, so 25 is wrong. The others are right, so first place is now a three-way tie.

Antonia, you've suggested a song I'd never heard of. I googled the lyrics and you're right so that makes you a winner :-) I'll post the songtitle I was thinking of too.

Noorster, you're absolutely right - but which one? ;-)

September 15, 2006 at 3:17:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"you've suggested a song I'd never heard of"

haha udge, I can only conclude from that that you never have been married too young and instead were hanging out with gypsywomen which sounds like the much nicer alternative....;)

September 16, 2006 at 11:41:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for adding a clue! I still had to listen to the album though ... and it's Never Let Me Go by U2.

September 17, 2006 at 1:01:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Udge said...

Antonia: no, I shall be marrying too old ;-)

Noorster: correct!

September 17, 2006 at 5:46:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger alan said...

I have a feeling #25 may be david bowie, but really i'm stumped on the rest. hope you don't mind me borrowing your idea for this moment ...

September 21, 2006 at 12:41:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger iLL Man said...

25 is Look Back In Anger by Bowie. It's Alan's though, he's only pretending he doesn't know...........=D

September 21, 2006 at 1:16:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger rb said...

19- Mojo Nixon, but I can't remember the name of the song (it's not Elvis is Everywhere)

September 21, 2006 at 6:13:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Udge said...

Ill man: welcome aboard! You were right.

rb: I think you've been here before, if not a hearty "welcome" to you too. You're right, it is Mojo; and you're right again that it isn't "Elvis is everywhere". You might phone me the answer (hint).

September 21, 2006 at 8:14:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Zhoen said...

Well, I feel a bit better. I picked out the only song I knew at all.

October 1, 2006 at 5:50:00 p.m. GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home