Monday, September 11, 2006

One more sleep

Twenty-four hours exactly until the plane to Frankfurt lifts off, and I have gone through the phase of panic and arrived at resignation. I cannot finish all that I wanted to do, so let us decide what will remain undone. (Like God, I talk to myself in the plural.) Cleaning up is non-negotiable, paying the bills urgent, making two letterhead templates for a new database client is critical, so of course I write a blog entry instead.

One other thing that I really must do, is to write a will and a set of instructions for my executor. The database is a partnership, in the unlikely event of my demise the computers and paperwork need to be sent to my partner together with an explanation of what is where and a list of all the passwords. I actually started this before going to Canada for Christmas 2004, but didn't get it finished.

Had a nice farewell dinner with G and U last night at an Italian restaurant in the Stadtpark, eating al fresco for the last time (for me) in Stuttgart this year, it will surely be too cold to do that again in October. It was just like being in Venice, warm night air and a gentle breeze, the murmur of conversation in many languages, the smell of oleander and pine and raw sewage (from the roadworks behind us).

I've prepared a post for tomorrow to keep you all engaged until I can get back online, which I hope to have enough time to upload. In the all too likely event of my not having time, I wish you a pleasant summer. God and terrorists willing, I will post again from the foothills of the Rocky Mountains.

In other news I cannot leave you on this historically significant date without a little political reality-check. Read this, and then read this.

7 Comments:

Blogger SavtaDotty said...

I wish you an uneventful flight. May all the babies on it sleep well, and may all your seatmates be thin, tidy, and quiet.

September 11, 2006 at 11:52:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger mark drago said...

Udge, to ward off the blues after the trip is done (since you've been anticipating it for so long), maybe you could start planning the _next_ trip!

September 11, 2006 at 3:51:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Udge said...

Savtadotty: thanks.

Mark: the next trip is already firmly planned, and the following two are in the concept stage!

September 11, 2006 at 5:06:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger CarpeDM said...

I hope you have good books and music for the trip. Cannot wait until you get back to hear all about it.

If it is possible to enjoy opera viscariously, I'm planning on doing just that.

September 11, 2006 at 8:53:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger brooksba said...

I hope you have a wonderful flight, a divine time, and I will miss you while you are away. Enjoy the opera and enjoy the trip!

September 11, 2006 at 10:29:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Postmodern Sass said...

Oh, Udge, I'm so very sorry to have to stand you up for our date at The Banknote. You'll find, if you go there, that it's no longer the same place I used to tell stories about. For the nearest experience, go to a place called The Pump, on Bloor Street near Bathurst. Sid is there now; he's one of the owners.

September 12, 2006 at 6:21:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Udge said...

Thank you all for the good wishes, I hope to have a boring flight and an otherwise pleasant trip.

September 12, 2006 at 6:42:00 a.m. GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home