Thursday, September 07, 2006

Empty

Empty frames leaning against the wall in the Stuttgart Staatsgalerie.
empty
Originally uploaded by udge.
I treated myself to a morning off, because the day was just so fine: warm, sunny, clear blue sky for the first time in weeks. After breakfast under the chestnut trees at the Café Eberhard, I went to the Staatsgalerie - and discovered that they are renovating. Almost the whole building, old and new, is closed off and emptied out. Most rooms have been emptied of paintings, the hanging wires still dangle forlornly and the wall plaques remind one of what is missing. Other rooms (like this one) have collections of empty frames to put one in mind of John Donne Milton ("they also serve who only stand and wait").

I found it absolutely fascinating and wanted to photograph the scene, but the jobsworth mentality of the watchers defeated me: no photography means no photography, even when there is nothing to be photographed. A very tricky philosophical issue!

So I have formally applied for permission to photograph the empty rooms. We shall see. I confidently expect that (a) the issue will not be decided before my holiday; further (b) that it will in fact be decided in my favour; however (c) not until the wires and plaques too have been taken down thus rendering the whole exercise void.

And now, to bed. I have set the alarm for 4:45 to take part in a group sit tomorrow morning.

7 Comments:

Blogger CarpeDM said...

But there is a photograph. I am confused. Is it not of the building or is it? And I can see the fascination about wanting to photograph that because that is a cool set up.

One of the greatest things about our trip to the Gulbenkian in Portugal is that they let us take pictures. Of everything. That rocked.

September 7, 2006 at 11:48:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Dale said...

Wow, I love the photo -- empty spaces waiting, yes. (It's Milton, though, not Donne :->)

September 8, 2006 at 12:07:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Udge said...

Thanks, Dale, I've corrected the name.

DM: (waves hand oddly) these aren't the photos you're looking for. I snuck this one shot in while nobody was looking.

September 8, 2006 at 5:35:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger mark drago said...

a group sit? (I'm sorry--I'm a new arrival here) some kind of protest? I hope you didn't sit in the dark!

September 8, 2006 at 4:55:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger brooksba said...

How fascinating! I do hope they allow you to take pictures of the entire scene.

And I am so in awe of your guts to sneak a shot when no one was looking. Great image!

September 8, 2006 at 9:37:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Udge said...

Hello Mark, welcome aboard. The "100 Days" site is a sort of group-hug place, a mutual-support and amusement centre for meditators, we say "sit" instead of "meditate" because it's cooler and saves typing five characters :-)

Yesterday was the site's birthday, so we arranged a simultaneous world-wide meditation to celebrate. Some timezones were luckier than others.

September 9, 2006 at 12:11:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger sirbarrett said...

Photographing empty rooms. Now there's a profession that I'd imagine wouldn't be oversaturated!

Should be interesting though. You would start to notice the cracks in the plaster more.

September 9, 2006 at 7:32:00 p.m. GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home