Monday, August 28, 2006

One's neighbourly duty

I've been working at home, since G is up to his eyeballs in another tender document and has ordered everyone to stay out of his way; and while working here have been watching the goings-on in the apartment across the street. It stood empty for a few months this summer, but now appears to have rented because a young woman I haven't seen before has been stripping wallpaper and painting windowframes.

There is an odd thing about that apartment, or rather about the people who have lived in it. There have been perhaps six tenants during the dozen years I've lived here, and the same event or circumstance has befallen them all. It's very peculiar.

Every woman who has lived there, became pregnant.

Even when the apartment was rented to a single man, the same thing happened: he met a girl who moved in and was pregnant within the year.

I feel that I should warn the new tenant, in case her plans for the immediate future don't include children. But it is a tricky subject to broach with a complete stranger.

5 Comments:

Blogger Dale said...

:-)

August 28, 2006 at 11:30:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah but think of the blog fodder!

August 29, 2006 at 12:04:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Anxious said...

She could be pregnant already! Wallpaper stripping is often a sign... ;o)

August 29, 2006 at 10:30:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger John Hamre said...

Why don't you go over there for a "welcome to the area" visit. But watch out, you might get more than a handshake. And nine months later, a new Udge. (and a new wink)

August 29, 2006 at 3:05:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger CarpeDM said...

Oh, yeah, I can just see that conversation going over well. Maybe an anonymous note? I know I would appreciate a warning.

I used to work for a company where you had to "wand" documents in by running a scanner over them. Every single woman who used this machine became pregnant. Except me, thank God. But you can imagine how nervous I used to get every time I had to act as the back up "wander".

August 30, 2006 at 9:18:00 p.m. GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home