Sunday, October 01, 2006

Home, tired

Well, I made it back to Stuttgart with soul, body and pride intact. First priority is to assuage the hunger, then comes the shower, then straight into bed. Blogging now until the pizza is delivered.

High-speed internet, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways (save that for another time).

I even turned a profit on the trip: as I went to check in, I noticed a banner message offering 400 Euros for something that was left unspecified. Turns out that the flight was overbooked, the money was in compensation for taking a later (same day) flight; of course I said "yes." I got home some six hours later than originally planned, which equates to 66.67 Euros which I would call a satisfactory hourly rate.

To pass the time (and because I'm too tired to write meaningful joined-up sentences) let's play the ever popular "Which google query brought people to my blog" game.

Identify the lines "They only stand and wait" from Milton

Assuming that you meant John Milton (English poet 1608-1674), the line (singular) is actually "They also serve who only stand and wait." It's from a poem entitled "On his blindness." (Thanks to Savtadotty for pointing out the mistake, I was too tired to notice.)


Pieczonka ankle

Yes, she broke it; but a pro doesn't let a trifle like that prevent her from performing.


Wotan, John Fanning

I sense a certain Ring theme developing. Yes, he sang the role because Pavlo Hunka has been diagnosed with a serious and previously-unknown case of diabetes, and is off for six months' sick leave.


Kati Outinen, Iraq

I hope to God that she isn't anywhere near the place.


Schramberg Frankfurt route

Well, I am not a car-driver so what I would do is this: take a taxi (or bus if you don't mind waiting) from Schramberg to the train station in Rottweil, there board a local train for Stuttgart (not forgetting to purchase a ticket). In Stuttgart, change to a train to Frankfurt. The route is served by ICE (fast, comfortable, expensive) and IC (slower, less comfortable, slightly less expensive) trains; I would recommend the ICE.


Butterfish

Available smoked in the Bauernmarkthalle, delicious.


Pizza is here, so that's all you get (though there were many more). To be continued anon.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back!
Enjoy your, er, well-earned 400 euros.

October 1, 2006 at 7:32:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Dale said...

welcome home!

October 1, 2006 at 9:01:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Zhoen said...

glad you were not swallowed in the pond.

October 1, 2006 at 10:13:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger CarpeDM said...

Nice! Not a bad hourly rate at all. Hope you had a good book for the wait. Welcome back!

October 2, 2006 at 12:07:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger SavtaDotty said...

Welcome back to our time zone (or closer to it, anyhow). I remember the line as "They also serve who only stand and wait." Is that a different poem/poet? No googling (unless you don't know)!

October 2, 2006 at 9:36:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Udge said...

Thanks for the cheering (as in happymaking) messages. There will be more, much more, about Toronto and the holiday anon.

Savtadotty, you are of course right. I was too tired to notice the user's mistake, or that google effectively corrected it.

October 2, 2006 at 10:36:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger brooksba said...

I've been behind reading and have noticed that you are back in Germany, but I do want to say that I'm glad you had a good time and arrived home safely. Hope you enjoyed your pizza!

October 10, 2006 at 8:34:00 a.m. GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home