Friday, September 22, 2006

Perfect

That was the first Siegfried that I've actually enjoyed, I usually experience it as something to be endured between good bits. Even my father, a notorious finder of imaginary faults, gave it 10 out of 10.

I was much happier with Frances Ginzer's Brünnhilde tonight than in Wednesday's Die Walküre, perhaps she is settling in to the role. She was an unsatisfactory demi-goddess but a great newly-created human woman*. There was a self-help book published some years back under the title "Feel the fear but do it anyway," which could have been taken as Brünnhilde's motto: delighted to wake to find herself human, scared stiff at the unknown life which lies ahead, but determined to grasp it with both hands.

With each Ring, I hear pieces of music that I hadn't heard before, or understand aspects of the story that I hadn't grasped before. I had somehow not really registered Wotan's long duet with Erda that begins the second act, although it is central to the story of the entire cycle.

The production design (by Michael Levine) was excellent: a nearly bare stage, most of which was in absolute darkness most of the time, with very simple costumes (pure white except Alberich and Brünnhilde) and few props or decorative elements. The lighting (by David Finn) has been uniformly excellent, but only this opera has really put his talents to use. There was one cleverclogs moment: a treestump on which Siegfried sits and dreams in Act One, is seen turned on its side (as though we were in midair looking down at the saw-cut face) in Act Two - with Siegfried still sitting on it dreaming, except that he's now lying on his back in midair! The Gods are at right angles to reality, as it were.


* For those who don't know the story: as punishment for disobeying her father Wotan's command (to cause the death of Siegmund and thus prevent Siegfried's birth) she was stripped of her demi-divinity and put to sleep within a ring of fire, to be the wife of whichever man could brave the flames to wake her. Naturally the first such fearless hero to pass by is Siegfried himself.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger brooksba said...

How amazing. I love how you can see/hear/experience something and always find a new gem, another moment that takes your breath away. I'm so glad that you're having a wonderful time.

September 23, 2006 at 11:54:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger CarpeDM said...

That's right! I remember the story now. I've always wanted to see it but reading your posts has been almost as good as seeing it live.

October 2, 2006 at 12:02:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Rob said...

OK, now I'm puzzled/interested. Where in Siegfried Act 1 does our titular hero sit down and dream about anything? And why would we have a particularly gods'-eye-view of the Act 2 action? Apart from Erde in Actr 3 (who presumably would be looking upwards) the only god in Siegfried is Wotan, who's in all the acts, definitely part of the human world and interacting with it. It would be at least as valid to have an Alberich's-eye-view of Act 2.

Anyway, wouldn't a Wotan's-eye-view of the action be lacking in depth perception and with one edge of the stage invisible? (Note for no-Wagnerites: he's only got one eye, and sports an eye-patch, or in this opera, a hat pulled down very low over the missing eye.)

Still jealous, BTW, even though I've just spent a weekend playing Parsifal.

October 4, 2006 at 1:42:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Udge said...

Rob: I think it's called "artistic license" :-) There has to be something on stage other than the singers, after all.

But I would agree that the at-right-angles idea doesn't sit particularly well with the story, much less with my notion of the Ring Cycle as a sort of creation myth.

I shall have to read more about you and Parzifal!

October 4, 2006 at 1:54:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Rob said...

regarrding finding something new in Siegfried, Edinburgh Players Opera Group (with whome I did Parsifal) did Siegfried three years ago. And though by then I'd seen it four times live (not to mention videos and recordings) it wasn't until I actually played it that I noticed what wonderful music Mime gets when he's dead (and being dumped on Fafner's treasure heap by Siegfried). It confers on him a nobility he never achieved in life. extrasordinary stuff.

October 4, 2006 at 3:33:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Rob said...

Funny things, typos. You'd think to read the start of my last comment that it was Talk Like A Pirate Day.

Also, "extrasordinary": would that be weird music with mutes on? Not so much Siegfried, then, as Götterdämpferung....

I'll get my coat.

October 4, 2006 at 3:37:00 p.m. GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home