Friday, August 04, 2006

Cold, bored and getting angry

I'm typing one-handed, in itself perhaps not that unusual among Internet users, but not for the usual reason. I'm on the phone, at least in theory, listening to Lufthansa's aggressively bland Dudelmusik and pseudo-news-babble in my left ear and Moby in my right. I am waiting, and have been for some twenty minutes.

All I want is to reserve a seat for my flight to Canada in five-and-a-half weeks (the ticket itself is already booked) but corporate inertia and territoriality make this a difficult task. The flight is under a Lufthansa flight number, but is actually operated by Air Canada (shudder). LH cannot reserve a seat because "our contingent of places is full" which implies that they have sold me a ticket that wasn't actually theirs to sell. Air Canada could reserve me a seat, of course, it is their plane; but they won't because LH issued my ticket. WTF? Is this really how a commercial partnership alliance (sorry) works? I would call this behaviour "broken" but then I'm just a customer, I'm only the guy who pays their salaries, so by definition I know nothing worth listening to. Bah.

Both AC and LH have websites, obviously, but neither of them is able to reserve a seat for somebody who already has a ticket.

Clearly I will be sitting in a jumpseat beside the toilets in row 73. Or strap-hanging in the aisle.

Damn, but it's cold. The weather changed on Sunday, while I was writing that balcony-blogging post. It has rained at least a few minutes every day this week, and the temperature has been steadily dropping. It's a chilly 18° as I write, and not much warmer in the apartment. I'm wearing long trousers for the first time in weeks, and a sweater (one of the few words that can be touch-typed normally with one hand, by the way, "few" is another) for the first time in months.

Well, I have endured this Dudelscheiße for 54 minutes, and am rapidly approaching the point where eleven hours in a jumpseat looks better than another minute of this auditory abuse. Bah.

2 Comments:

Blogger brooksba said...

I do not understand why the airlines have to make it so dang hard to reserve seats. I always have to wait until I get to the airport to figure out where I'm going to sit and it's annoying. It seems like it always comes down to who got to the airport the soonest.

August 4, 2006 at 9:16:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger CarpeDM said...

Oh, dear, that doesn't sound good at all. I hate trying to get a seat on airplanes. Especially being larger, it makes it important to at least be on the aisle but you still have to wait to get to the airport and throw yourself on the mercy of the airline staff.

August 6, 2006 at 7:07:00 p.m. GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home