Sunday, September 18, 2005

Responsibility

It's a small thing, but it bothers me.

When we began talking seriously about Venice, we agreed (at their suggestion) that I would arrange the accomodation and they would take care of the transportation. A simple and equitable arrangement, you might think. This evening, they called to ask whether I had looked into train fares!

Our rooms are reserved from Friday of this week, and they haven't yet thought about how we will get there. This happens every damned time that we travel together, for as long as I've lived in Germany.

It's not like Charlie Brown and Lucy and the football, there is no ill-will or trickery here. They are just casually incompetent; always have been and probably always will be.

The point is: Why do I still fall for it? Why don't I just say "No, I'll do it all" and spare myself the disappointment - and the last-minute panic?

I wanted to post a pleasant piece about going for a drive in the country with Slim and Larry, gathering chestnuts (us) and interesting pebbles (him), and visiting a brand-new art gallery, but this annoyance has spoiled my mood.

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

fear not, Udge, your Charlie Brown/Lucy/football reference was not lost on me ... trust issues, frustration ... don't let the turkeys get you down my friend :>

September 18, 2005 at 10:55:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm as non-North-American as they come and I got your reference, too.
Maybe the reason you keep falling for it is your belief in the goodness of mankind. Or something like that.:) Anyhoo, get there somehow, and enjoy Venice.
PS: How come you have chestnuts over there and I am yet to find one? I'm jealous.

September 18, 2005 at 11:56:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger sirbarrett said...

It is a natural reaction to feel crusty over incompetence, especially when it never ends.
Hope the chestnuts will come in good time.

September 19, 2005 at 5:26:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger CarpeDM said...

Well, that's just not very sporting at all (see, football reference). I'm sorry about this. What are you going to do? Will you still be able to go to Venice? What did they say when you reminded them of the plan?

Looking forward to the pebble story.

September 20, 2005 at 3:37:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger SavtaDotty said...

Why do I still fall for it?

Like Noorster said, plus... It's probably a combination of belief and wishful thinking. The only worry is that the wishful thinking might cloud your perspective in a dangerous situation, not a minor inconvenience.

September 20, 2005 at 1:24:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Udge said...

I solved the problem, is what I did: called the Deutsche Bahn, found out the options, called them back and explained the options in my order of preference, they agreed, I bought the tickets. Elapsed time 22 minutes.

In fairness I would have to confess that they are pretty good at other things that I can't manage, like remembering birthdays. We all have our little weaknesses.

September 20, 2005 at 9:47:00 p.m. GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home