Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Faster is too slow

Technofetish warning: non-geeks should take evasive action now, I recommend this video starring the ineffable JonnyB (read the post first to get the background story).

Funny how one's perceptions change. I used a series of analog modems for over ten years, and found them fast enough for my purposes, until I got ISDN. Wow, so fast! I then used an ISDN modem for about three years, and found it fast enough for my purposes, until I finally got DSL hooked up the day before yesterday. Wow, so fast! How many months of happy use will I have before replacing DSL with ... whatever?

The claims made in the ads for DSL are true, except where they aren't. It is indeed blazingly fast - if you happen to be the only user that the website's server "out there" is handling. If you are one of 93748 simultaneous user at Apple's Software Update, then it just trickles along in third gear. (Still much faster than ISDN, but nowhere near the speed claims.)

A real disappointment with DSL is that uploading stuff happens at the same speed as ISDN. I'm a software developer, so I spend an awful amount of my online time uploading files (sending e-mail attachments amounts to the same thing). In fairness, that shouldn't really have surprised me, it is sold as "asynchronous DSL" and the fine print clearly states that uploading is slower than downloading. I hadn't expected the difference to be so drastic.

DSL has also pointed out a change in the meaning of size in computing. I bought my first gigabyte hard disk about eight years ago, and didn't manage to fill it before replacing the computer that it was in. The disk was a huge investment, I believe it cost half a Deutschmark per megabyte. Skip forward eight years: The DSL tariff I chose has a volume limit of 1 gigabyte per month. Think of that: I can pull an entire hard disk each month through this skinny black cable. And it costs next to nothing: seventeen Euros per month, one and a half cents per megabyte.

There are many different DSL tariffs on offer, I chose this one because I wanted to have no time limit, and a gigabyte per month seemed a reasonable amount: that's 32 megabytes per day, right? how could anyone possibly need more than that?

Well, my dears, I now know the answer to that question: in the 48 hours since DSL was installed, I have used up 261 megabytes (and yes, I also slept, ate, showered, read the New Yorker and did a day's work during that time).

Over a quarter of my monthly allowance in two days. Dear Lord, how can this be? (easy enough when you have three computers running in parallel, each downloading something or other). A gigabyte per month is clearly nowhere near enough.

The main surprise was on this side of the keyboard: my habits. Decades of expensive, slow connections have accustomed me to logging on and off several times per session: log on, grab a bunch of e-mail, log off, read and respond, log on, post the responses, log off. Well, DSL has no "off switch". It's permanently on, ticking away (except that with a pure volume tariff it doesn't even tick, the built-in accounting system can't tell me how much time I have used). It feels odd not having to click on "disconnect" at regular intervals. It feels very damned odd indeed to leave the house knowing that my wireless LAN is active and the DSL connection is still open, as though I were to walk away leaving the front door unlocked. I shall have to work on accepting this new paradigm.

5 Comments:

Blogger CarpeDM said...

I have no clue what you are talking about. Except that things are slow. I got that part. Okay, actually I did understand a lot of this but it just reminds me that I'm not really a geek, I'm a geek wannabe.

I am still using dial-up. And my bosses wonder why I surf the web so much at work. Um, hello? Can you say much faster than my home Internet? I knew you could.

August 24, 2005 at 7:28:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Udge said...

Well, depending on how much you (want to) surf, it may be cheaper. I reckon that switching to DSL will cut my phone bill by about 40%, even allowing for the monthly flatrate charge.

And it is much faster. Photo-heavy sites like Sleeveless in Southern Utah or Wave of Modulation do load in a reasonable time (but still far from instantly).

August 24, 2005 at 7:45:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Heather Cox said...

Well I was just listening for my name cause I don't understand geek talk and there it was! Imagine that. LOL Happy geeking to you both.

August 24, 2005 at 10:53:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger sirbarrett said...

I know that Germany is very good for conserving waste and being environmentally conscious and not excessive. You pay for your garbage disposal by the pound do you not? What is this DSL tariff? You must pay for the amount of bytes you download and upload? Next you'll want wireless high-speed internet. I was freaked out at the idea of being online all the time too. It made me paranoid that hackers have all day to get into my system. Well, we are an adaptable species. Hoffendlich es ist besser als alte ordnung!

August 28, 2005 at 9:23:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Udge said...

Heather: glad to be of service :-)

Philip: I'm pretty cautious, the router has a firewall, and each computer has its own too.

sirbarret: we pay for garbage disposal by the litre, actually. The city provides bins which must be used, no other receptacle will be emptied. These are in a variety of sizes, and one may order as many as one wishes; you pay by the total volume. Additionally, there are "brown" garbage (biodegradable) and paper recycling bins, also paid by volume. Then there's the Green Point packaging-recycling programme, which is paid for by a hidden tax on products.

August 29, 2005 at 8:36:00 a.m. GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home