Friday, August 12, 2005

On the discomfort of deciding

The newest competition is slowly taking form. We have decided on the general urban-form principles, distributed the spaces in a reasonable way, and have got the circulation system so that it almost works. However, I think that this one will not win: the spark is missing. There is no bright idea, no cliffhanger, no unique sales point. It's just another perfectly adequate building, yawn.

What's worse: there was a bright and sparky alternative, a real big-brass-balls proposal. We debated between the two for several hours (honestly) yesterday, and I talked the other one down because I thought it was too risky: a real Ugly Duckling of a scheme. I felt that there was a very strong chance that it would be eliminated in the first round with a cry of "dear God, what's that?". Thanks to me, we have chosen a project which is likely to get through to the last round, but is not likely to arouse the mad passionate "must-have" lust that makes a winner. Mark this down for an Honourable Mention, and colour me sorry.

Group dynamics are a strange thing. Here is how decisions get made: G poses the question "which version do we take?" and nobody breathes. After a few minutes of silence, I say that the big-brass-balls version is a better building but a weaker sell, and the attitude is taken up gratefully. I really wonder, if I had said that the BBB was a hard sell but worth it, would we now be working just as happily on that?

The world expects me to be a Chief, but I'm happier being just one of the Indians.

On a lighter note: we finished the evening yesterday with a glass of Sekt on the balcony, watching the setting sun dye the clouds in fantastic colours. U brought out the glasses, and noticed that one was dusty. She raised it to her lips and blew hard into the glass - and then looked up at us. The look of horror on her face as she realized what she had done, and that we had seen her do it, was priceless.

4 Comments:

Blogger Fred said...

The world expects me to be a Chief, but I'm happier being just one of the Indians

That's why I finally got off my 23-year corporate roller coaster. I was tired of being responsible for everyone else's happiness.

Now, I'm teaching and enjoying every minute of my job. And, I couldn't be happier.

August 13, 2005 at 3:29:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger CarpeDM said...

I agree with Fred, I left a management job to go back to working phones in the call center. I love it. Because I have 15 more minutes to go and look at this, I'm leaving you a comment. Couldn't have done this is my other job.

Why was she horrified that she had blown on her glasses?

August 15, 2005 at 11:16:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger cmhl said...

too funny about blowing on the glass-- I can totally relate. dust, though, is hard to compartmentalize within the two second rule, like when your kids drop candy. ha.

sorry about the woes of being the chief. ugh.

August 16, 2005 at 2:44:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Udge said...

DM: not reading glasses, drinking-out-of glasses; and not hers but ours, one of use would have to drink from it.

August 17, 2005 at 9:46:00 p.m. GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home