Thursday, September 15, 2005

Excitement

So there I was, minding my own business in the office (aka living room), when a fat and lazy black fly buzzed slowly past me and wandered off into the depths of the apartment. Being busy, I didn't chase it down but just let it fly on, hoping it would find the half-open window without my assistance.

About an hour later, I began to smell something burning: just a whiff, but all the more disturbing for that. There is no reason ever to smell burning in a non-smoker's home (unless they use candles, and I don't). I walked around the apartment, sniffing in doorways: definitely the office. No sign of smoke, but the smell was intensifying: nasty, acrid - not unlike an electical fire. Is there a short-circuit somewhere? No sign of sparks. "Oh God, the computers!"

While shutting them down, I sniffed at them all, putting my hand on the heat vents: nothing. The smell had become a stink, quite overpoweringly vile. (By this time I had pocketed my cellphone and the house keys, and was uncabling my laptop to take it with me.)

And then I saw smoke rising - from the floor light, a 300 watt halogen bulb - and understood. The fat and lazy fly had come to a very unpleasant end. So I thanked Heaven for small mercies, turned off the light, opened all the windows wide, and put the lamp out on the balcony.

It'll probably be 2am before my blood pressure is low enough that I can think about going to sleep.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I spent a night in a guest cabin once. No screens. Torch-style lamp with open bulb. The smell was atrocious. You have my sympathies on that count alone.

moose

September 16, 2005 at 12:08:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Lioness said...

Death by pseudo-immolation. OY, vile! Poor you.

September 16, 2005 at 5:00:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Heather Cox said...

Ick!

September 16, 2005 at 6:23:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger CarpeDM said...

That is more excitement than I would like to have.

September 16, 2005 at 6:50:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Unknown said...

*chuckling* here in Australia we have a thing called a 'bugzapper' ... it's a special lamp that gives off bug-attracting vibes and then when the bug gets close ... *ZAP* ... dead bug ... :>

September 16, 2005 at 6:54:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Liza said...

Blech! Stupid fly for not noticing that he was starting to become a little hot under the collar, so to speak. So, has the smell gone away yet? :-)

September 20, 2005 at 3:51:00 p.m. GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home