Thursday, May 19, 2005

Lucre City

I spent this afternoon in Lucre City (a nasty place: smelly, dirty, inhospitable and very loud, it confirms that old line about the pursuit of Mammon blinding one to everything else).

Babe and I travelled up to demo my database for a Truly Huge Financial Services Corporation. As with the trip to Moneyville last month, the purpose was to prove that my database would be good for their customers. THFSC was suitably impressed, asked some good questions and made politely favourable noises, and left us with a list of points for further discussion. They appear to have fewer and poorer customers of our kind than the Very Large Financial Services Corporation ("poorer" in the relative sense of being obscenely rich rather than egregiously rich) but, hey, I'll take anybody's money.

As always, each new client brings a few new ideas: things that nobody has previously thought to ask for, but which seem as obvious as gravity once someone does ask; however the trend is slackening off which I take to mean that we are getting close to being able to call it "finished".

And that means: I will soon have to rewrite the user's guide and publicity materials. It occurs to me that if we don't go broke and give up, I will be rolling this rock for the rest of my life: Push the boulder uphill adding new features and removing old bugs, then follow it back down documenting the changes. I could be happy with that.

1 Comments:

Blogger SavtaDotty said...

Enjoy it while you can. To me it sounds better than bankruptcy or extreme wealth.

May 19, 2005 at 11:09:00 p.m. GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home