Thursday, May 12, 2005

Early morning

The sky is immaculate blue, the rising sun has just reached the rooftops across the street, the air is fresh and cool. It's going to be a fine day.

I was in Frankfurt am Main yesterday, for a training session with a new customer. It went very well: the usual assortment of brand-new bugs, a few good ideas to be implemented, and the possibility of selling on at least one more licence now and the upgrade to a client/server system in the future.

Lawrence Durrell once declared that "God is a humorist," and one can indeed choose to see the little absurdities and coincidences of life as a kind of celestial wink. A long-standing joke between Mister G and myself was broken yesterday: It didn't rain in Frankfurt. (Not much of a joke, really, more a shaggy dog story.)

I have been in Frankfurt many, very many, times in my years in Europe (changing trains, changing planes, conferences, exhibitions, visiting friends) and until yesterday it had rained every single time without exception. But the sky was as blue there yesterday as this morning's is here.

Either God forgot our little ritual, or He tired of His own joke and has moved on to another that I haven't yet spotted.

[Update at 9:09. This morning is just too fine to waste at my desk, I'm going for a walk.]

4 Comments:

Blogger nancy oarneire graham said...

I approve of your walk and I hope you enjoyed it.

I have a meteorological joke with Scotland: it never rains when I'm there. I think of it as a sunny place.

May 12, 2005 at 11:14:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger SavtaDotty said...

Red: I have a similar joke with Switzerland: the only time I was ever there, the train was 20 minutes late. I think of it as a place where the trains are never on time.

May 12, 2005 at 9:26:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Lioness said...

[Thank you so much, Udge, so much. I also don't know what to say but I know you know how grateful I am.]

May 13, 2005 at 11:56:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger CarpeDM said...

I personally think that Nature and/or God is out to get me.

I normally love Minnesota in the Spring. The temp ranges between 55-75 degrees (you're probably in celsius but I have no clue how to calculate), everything is turning green, Nature and I have this lovely ritual where I marvel at her beauty and she blesses me with the glorious weather and the occasional rainy day.

Not this year. Went to see the Lioness in Portugal in April. Lovely weather, just the way I liked it, except that the sun burns just a tad hotter (stupid sunburn) Came back, walked outside the airport and almost froze to death.

It is May. May! We have had snow and rain more often than not. Today is one of the first days I've been able to wear my sunglasses and I can't enjoy it because of a stupid cold.

This is just wrong. Okay, I'll stop babbling now. Carry on with your beautiful day.

May 16, 2005 at 6:48:00 p.m. GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home