Thursday, May 26, 2005

Fronleichnam

Fronleichnam towardsPauluskirche

Today is Fronleichnam aka Corpus Christi, the city has closed up shop for a four-day weekend. (Only today is an official holiday, but many people take the Friday off as well, and those who do work will arrive late, leave early and take lots of coffee breaks.)

I celebrated the day by going for a walk on the Blauer Weg (and taking some photos for Philip of the view from the edge of the forest (as wished for in the Lottery post below). The first stage of the walk is on open ground, and the sun was already quite hot although the morning was still young. As I got into the forest, the temperature dropped by a good six degrees or so, and the humidity rose correspondingly; I was glad to have brought my jacket along. I walked as far as Südheimer Platz, then took the tram back home, arriving just in time to see the procession in the photo above.

I am usually taken by surprise by these holidays, since they don't appear in my calendar (nobody's fault but mine: I haven't bothered to subscribe to any of the many free listings of public holidays), but I knew that this one was coming because the nice ladies in the corner grocery store had warned me to stock up on milk and bread. I'm sure they think of me as the absentminded professor type. They aren't far wrong.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home