Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Birdsong before daybreak

The change to summer time is a point of confusion and irritation, but it does have one nice aspect: It gives me another few weeks of winter mornings. I love getting up before daybreak, making a pot of coffee, and sitting down to wait for the sun to rise. It's a family event in Saskatchewan, sunrise at Christmas is (as I remember) around 9am so everyone has gathered in the living room by the time things start happening.

It's 6:47 here in Stuttgart, the sky is just changing from black to blue, and the birds are singing away like mad. I recorded a few seconds of this from the kitchen balcony, which I will try to post here in case anybody else is as crazy as I.

[Update: 30 seconds of birdsong is nearly half a megabyte as a WAV file, so I'll have to do some editing and compressing before posting it. Watch this space.]

[Updated again: There are dozens of post-a-photo services, but I can't find a single post-a-soundfile service. This may be more difficult than I thought.]

4 Comments:

Blogger Dale said...

My favorite time of day. I'm always a little disappointed if I sleep so late that it's already light out.

(Every time I meet a farmer, I ask, "so does this time change really help you out? I'm told we change it for you guys." And they always reply, "???" I don't think anybody knows why we do this silly thing. It irritates me to have a "skip" like that muddling the plumb-line by which we can judge the earth's tilt.)

March 30, 2005 at 10:10:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Udge said...

Dairy farmers say that their cows produce less milk for a week after the change.

March 30, 2005 at 10:52:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Lioness said...

YES PLEASE! I did as well, on the kibbutz. And also the muezzin calling for prayers. I don't think I'll post it though, bad vibes. But birdsong, nothing prettier. Well, few things are anyway. Please do.

Exam is on Friday as it turns out, Wednesday Syndrome striking again. So will reply on Friday afternoon, but hell, damn you and the mare you rode in on over #2! Mad Canoock.

March 30, 2005 at 11:23:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Udge said...

Lioness: why? I thought you might have objected to Nr. 1 ;-) Take Nr.2 (and Nr.6 too) as a gentle hint among friends.

March 30, 2005 at 11:34:00 p.m. GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home