Saturday, March 26, 2005

Karfreitag

I walked down to the river yesterday afternoon, in the hope of organizing my thoughts to write this piece. The Neckar has risen nearly a metre above its midwinter average, and is running very fast and muddy. There must have been a lot of snow in the north of Switzerland. No ducks, no swans, no rabbits; but a red-tailed woodpecker and the first two herons staking out their fishing grounds.

It seems my fate in Blogger, to produce only trivia.

I've been trying since Thursday evening to write a piece about Judas Iscariot, triggered by going to see the Herrenberger Altar that afternoon, and by a fragment of a song which popped into my mind as I sat before it:

Through many dark hours I've been thinking about this:
That Jesus Christ was betrayed by a kiss.
But I can't think for you, you'll have to decide
Whether Judas Iscariot had God on his side.

Bob Dylan, "With God on our side"

I have always felt a certain sympathy for Judas, because I see him and Jesus both as victims (in vastly differing proportion, obviously) of the story of the Passion. Judas' role was also forced upon him by God's plan; he too was given a cup from which he had no choice but to drink. To what extent can one who carries out God's will, be said to be evil?

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger SavtaDotty said...

My most fervent prayer: G_d, protect me from people who think they're carrying out Your will.

March 26, 2005 at 7:00:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Udge said...

Absolutely true. Funny how God always tells people to do things they want to do. It's probably true that anyone who thinks (s)he is carrying out His will, is not.

March 26, 2005 at 7:11:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Lioness said...

S., as always, you're a delight! :DDD Very very true.

March 27, 2005 at 7:57:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Udge said...

Oh, I didn't know that, thanks for the tip! Kannst Du denn so gut Deutsch als solch ein Buch zu lesen? Die Noorster imponiert schon wieder.

August 17, 2005 at 9:11:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Udge said...

Noorster, my dear, you are far too modest. There is nothing obvious about your first language. I had been reading your blog for half a year before I discovered that you weren't a native English speaker.

August 18, 2005 at 10:44:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Udge said...

... and your German is good enough to gather what I had asked. I'm impressed.

August 18, 2005 at 10:45:00 p.m. GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home