Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Thinking of Jim

Morrison, that is. Specifically:

The cars hiss by my window
Like the waves down on the beach


There are things that surround us, which we don't notice because they surround us. The gentle, wistful, shy sound of car tyres on rain-wet streets falls into this category: for three of the four seasons, I hear the cars hissing by and am vaguely charmed by the sound, though it seldom rises to my consciousness. Then with the onset of winter, it stops: car tyres in snow make a different (lesser, uncharming) noise, and snow muffles sound in any case. I seldom consciously notice this change as autumn shades into winter: how could one know at the time that this particular rainfall would be the last of the year?

It's raining this evening, the first precipitation since the thaw that ended winter, and so for the first time in months I am listening to the sound of the sea.

6 Comments:

Blogger Lioness said...

Oh I'm enjoying this, and your blog title? Brilliant! Are you SURE you're German? Your name sounds it but somehow, ich kann's nicht fassen. And where does your bril English come from? Please tell me you don't say "uniwersity"! Will come back to read more.

March 23, 2005 at 11:15:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Udge said...

Hello Lioness, nice to see you here. Thanks for the compliments, which I wholeheartedly return.

Re my bril English: I'm quite sure that I'm not German, I'm Canadian via London UK. Read back to Christmastime for a few further clues.

March 23, 2005 at 12:07:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Dale said...

Beautiful.

March 23, 2005 at 4:08:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Little Light said...

You're so poetic.

March 23, 2005 at 5:07:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Lioness said...

OOps! Sorry abt that! Udge sounds so... Northener, I did think you were German. Do you speak it at all? Bcs I left you a message in my comments. Must definitely read more.

March 23, 2005 at 6:44:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Lioness said...

(And that up there should read "brill", I ALWAYS do this, aggravates me majorly.)

March 27, 2005 at 7:58:00 p.m. GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home