Friday, December 10, 2004

Small is beautiful

Those of a non-geeky disposition may wish to hit the "Next blog" button, because this post will be pure technofetishism.



This little beauty holds 256 megabytes of RAM. You're viewing it pretty much lifesize. It weighs less than the letter I got from my airline bonus-points account this morning.

Step back around thirteen years. The first hard disk I bought held 30 megabytes, was roughly five times as big in every dimension, and weighed just under a ton. As near as I can remember, the hard disk cost (very roughly calculated) 4 Euros per megabyte.

The USB Drive above cost 19 cents per megabyte.

Capacity increase: 800%
Weight reduction: 99%
Volume reduction: 99%
Price reduction: 95%

And now, the punchline: Had I been able to wait a week, I could have ordered a Gigabyte version.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Hey Udge. I saw you commented on my blog a while back. I'm so used to not having comments it took me forever to realize.

I too am obsessed with technology, but I'm in college so that kind of inhibits my purchase power.

December 12, 2004 at 8:11:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Udge said...

2 Gigabytes? Oooh, that must be the new IBM 1 inch form factor that fits into the Compact Flash memory card slots :-)

December 12, 2004 at 1:40:00 p.m. GMT+1  

Post a Comment

<< Home