Monday, November 08, 2004

Sleepy (not Grumpy)

For a long time I used to go to bed late.

As a student, I would often work through the night, then walk to the park to watch the sun come up, before going back home to bed. Obviously that had to change when I joined the workforce, but I would still regularly stay up well past midnight. Parties started at 10pm and went on until the buses started running again.

Fast forward a few years. I found myself in the kitchen just now, putting things away in preparation for going to bed. It's quarter to nine, 20:48 to be exact. When did I get to be such an early-to-bedder? Even for me, this is extreme.

Part of this is that I'm quite simply tired. I've been up since 6am searching for the damn tax records that weren't here anyway, and it's been a stressful day. (A Handy Tip For Readers: Do everything and anything you can, to avoid coming to the attention of the tax authorities.)

Since I mostly work at home (I'm practicing saying that, for the auditors tomorrow) I can sleep & wake pretty much when I want; and have discovered that I want to do both early. I set the alarm for 9:00 just in case, but haven't been woken by it in months. The rules of my lifestyle are simple:

1) Go to bed when you're tired, whatever time it may be.

2) Get out of bed when you wake up, whatever time it may be.

Life is just so much more pleasant this way, living on a natural rhythm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home