Friday, August 01, 2008

Hot

Well, the rain that I have been praying for since a fortnight arrived today in a quite impressive hour-long downpour. Unfortunately, it appears that my prayers were insufficiently precise. What I wanted was a break in the constant heat and humidity, what the universe delivered was a sky full of falling water. Ah well. Let that be a lesson: prayers do get answered, but God has a sly and pedantic sense of humour.

I've been rising earlyish this week, trying to get some hours in while the air is still relatively cool (already 22°C as I woke, though, the nights hardly cool off at all.) I woke just before dawn as a gentle rain began to rattle against my window, smiled in my half-sleep and rolled over. I dreamed of South Kensington and my sister's family, and their dog which could talk and which was a red-haired green-eyed girl (though also a dog at the same time); a cheerful and happy dream, I woke laughing.

Survived another week at work, architecture and Münsterism both going well. Started on the competition, and received notice that we were drawn from the hat to partake in yet another, the fourth of 2008. Both are due in the same week.

Did I mention that it's very hot and humid? Quite unpleasant. My forearms are sticking to the desk, and my back and thighs to the chair.

Since Monday's music quiz has gone unanswered (barring Pacian's intriguing but sadly incorrect suggestion), I shall reveal the answer: "Slither down the greasy pipe" is the second line of the half-spoken intermezzo to David Bowie's song "Joe the Lion" (released in 1977, my gods, "Heroes" is already thirty-one years old). Insofar as Bowie's songs of the period can be said to be "about" anything in particular, "Joe the Lion" is about a performance artist named Chris Burdon, best known for being nailed to the roof of a Volkswagen and shot in the left arm during performances. A more recent piece is his Flying Steamroller, a 12 ton road-building machine connected to a pivot arm and counterweight, which becomes airborne above a certain speed (YouTube video, 3:57). Quite poetic, in an elephantine way.

Shabbat shalom, my dears. Enjoy the weekend.

Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Zhoen said...

Good gods I hate sweaty heat. It's all about dewpoint, you know.

August 2, 2008 at 2:41:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger JoeinVegas said...

And I thought I had some strange dreams.

And for you - more competitions. I sure hope you make enough money off of doing these things.

August 4, 2008 at 6:44:00 p.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Corvi, Corey, Crow, Maggie and Raven said...

You know what? You're wonderful. Really. Wonderful. Thanks for all the thinking you make me do.

Still tripping off that last conversation...

August 6, 2008 at 12:33:00 a.m. GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home