Sunday, May 04, 2008

Toronto

There is both too much and very little to say about the place where one grew up, especially when seeing it after more than three decades of separation. I am here in the company of my sister's children, who are now older than I was when I left Toronto for England, Europe, architecture and my own life (such as it is).

I feel that I am suffocating in this tightly-sealed, recycled-air, overheated house. Typing right now on an inflatable bed in the office, which was my bedroom three decades ago, with the window open and a cool breeze playing over my legs. Birds are singing outside as daylight fades — by the way, it is 8:30 p.m. on Saturday 3. May as I write, whatever date and time Blogger may see fit to impose on this post when I publish it — and planes are droning overhead on their way to the airport; other than that, it is quite close to silent here. I hadn't realized how noisy Stuttgart is, how oppressive I find the sound of traffic outside my windows (there).

Celebratory lunch for my father's 80th birthday in the new restaurant of the remodelled and reopened Royal Ontario Museum today, a happy and pleasant occasion. The bill for seven of us came to C$480 excluding tip but including the Members' 10% discount that my parents get. Was it worth every penny? Hard to say. The food was delicious, the wine was good, the service suitably fawning; but damn if it doesn't come hard to say that such a price can ever really be justified. If you happen to be in Toronto with a buttload of money, there are worse places to spend it.

That's enough for now, I am tired and unmotivated. I hope you are all well and happy, dear readers.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Dale said...

Hang in there, amigo.

May 4, 2008 at 2:55:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Zhoen said...

My own memories of Toronto were about thirty years ago as well, school trip, took the train up. I remember the cold winds, a little Italian place where I got good pizza, and an expensive restaurant (by my poor-girl's standards), and cold linguini with clam sauce - the whole gang of us went. Not a successful meal.

May 4, 2008 at 3:00:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger JoeinVegas said...

Hope you are getting along well with the clan.

May 4, 2008 at 7:56:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger SavtaDotty said...

I have two memories of Toronto from my business trips there in the early 1980's: very clean streets and truly superb dim sum. (Two things notably lacking where I live now :-))

May 4, 2008 at 8:45:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Lioness said...

I always find it hard to revisit, especially when a lot of time has gone by. Time passing becomes particularly poignant and it is a bit heartbreaking to feel that what was once home no longer is, not really. Children becoming adults still startles me, and I'm not even that old!

I hope it becomes better soon and remember, you'll be home in no time. Flick the bothersome aside as much as possible and enjoy what you have, when you can. Your blog is sitll the same though, and so are we. :)

May 4, 2008 at 11:25:00 a.m. GMT+2  
Blogger Udge said...

Hello my dears, thank you for commenting. It's nice to feel this little touch of contact to my "real" i.e. electronically mediated life here in analog exile. I am settling in, returning to an even keel and a calmness of soul after the transition.

May 5, 2008 at 6:52:00 p.m. GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home