Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Ho ho ho

Blogging briefly while waiting for G and U (and Ralph) to pick me up, to go to the Black Forest for two days.

It has not (yet) snowed as such, but the combination of frozen earth and moist air has left a film of hoar-frost over the city. It's about -5°C at present, sunny but with a humidity haze in the air. Walking home at 3 a.m. under a full moon, alone in the city with my feet crunching in the snow, I felt peaceful and very happy.

G, U, Famous Photographer and I cooked a four-course meal last night: topinambour soup, carp bleu, duck legs in a sweetish ginger and lemon sauce, and a bread pudding. Delicious; though I must say that having once eaten carp, I see no particular need to eat it again. It has a very, shall we say, unusual texture which I found quite unpleasant. The topinambour soup was the highlight of the evening, I've translated the recipe here.

Merry Christmas, my dears. I hope that you are all happy, healthy and with your loved ones today.

Labels: , , , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Jenni said...

merry Christmas! safe travels to you.....

December 25, 2007 at 3:24:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Zhoen said...

(o)

December 25, 2007 at 5:28:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"...under a full moon, my feet crunching in the snow..."
LOVELY.

Enjoy the trip! The baby will be a nice company.

December 25, 2007 at 8:01:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Silly Old Bear said...

Merry Christmas! Enjoy the quiet.

December 25, 2007 at 11:25:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Diana said...

A belated but merry Christmas wish for you, too, Udge.

December 27, 2007 at 1:38:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Somehow, I imagine you walking into the butcher shop and asking the butcher if he has duck legs.
"Yes, I do" he answers with a smile on his face.
Then I imagine you answering: "If you wear long pants, maybe nobody will notice."

Merry Christmas Udge.

December 27, 2007 at 2:28:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Beth said...

Merry Christmas, Udge. And I anxiously await the topinambour soup recipe!

December 28, 2007 at 1:49:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Blogger CarpeDM said...

Um, carp. No. Fish is to be avoided at all costs. Unless it is deep fried and then I tolerate it. But everything else sounds wonderful! Have fun!

December 28, 2007 at 4:29:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Pacian said...

Oh man, I stole your post title without realising it.

December 28, 2007 at 8:35:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Lioness said...

Hi dahling, here's to an exceedingly happy 2008!

Just yesterday I was telling a friend how wonderful it was to have you here and discuss books and the fish and the universe.

Many smooches and hugs.

December 30, 2007 at 11:19:00 a.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Udge said...

Thank you my dears for all the kind wishes, which I wholeheartedly (if belatedly) return. Christmas was in deed safe, crunchy, full of ducks and geese and old jokes and books.

December 30, 2007 at 5:45:00 p.m. GMT+1  

Post a Comment

<< Home