Friday, December 07, 2007

Blustery

The wind is howling around the windows (interesting word, I wonder what its etymology is) this morning, rattling the roller-shutters in their frames; supposed to get even worse in the course of the day. Perhaps I should do my daily grocery shopping before the rain starts.

This is not really winter, of course, not to a Canadian: even if I live here another fifty years, I shall never believe that 11°C and raining is winter. Autumn, perhaps; early Spring, quite definitely; but not winter. Bah. I got all nostalgic and teary on reading Beth's recent post on winter in Montreal, to see her video clip and the photo of a snowy street at night. The brightness of winter nights in snowy countries is a delight, which I miss here.

My favourite customer has just called in to report a problem with the database: the version on the CD doesn't allow her to enter data in a few particular fields—which then show up empty on printed reports. On investigation it appears that Georgette sent her a two-year-old CD, presumably from the stock of 500 copies that they printed in November 2005. Damn and blast. I told them that it was a bad idea to print so many, but they would not listen. I shall have to visit Munich in the very near future, to confiscate and destroy this ancient crud.

Today's Friday Favourite is a souvenir of Venice, a little touch of nostalgia from the Gran Caffé Quadri in the Piazza San Marco. Enjoy.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Diddums said...

I was taking some shredded paper out to the paper bin, only to find said paper bin had blown over in the wind, with stuff flying about....

Decided against putting the shredded paper in.

Huff.

December 7, 2007 at 1:32:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Zhoen said...

[ME. windoe, a. ON. vindauga, f. vindr WIND n.1 + auga EYE n.1 (See also WIND-DOOR, WINDORE, WINDOWN, WINNOCK.) The Scand. word replaced and finally superseded OE. éayrel EYETHURL, éaduru, but the French-derived FENESTER was in concurrent use down to the beginning of the modern period.]
-OED.

Apparently places that get a lot of snow get less SAD, presumably because of the reflected light.

December 7, 2007 at 2:07:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Jenni said...

ah winter....truly variable meanings depending on where you live....for example, today in my part of Texas, it is to be 80 degrees F, Monday is is to be 40, with rain....

December 7, 2007 at 4:22:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Blogger Pacian said...

Reminds me of a Slovakian guy I knew in London who kept asking when Winter would really start. Of course, that year we had the thickest snowfall in decades, so he was quite happy in the end...

December 8, 2007 at 3:05:00 p.m. GMT+1  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I understand exactly what you mean. I also saw some photos recently of the Montréal snowstorm aftermath and suffered a strange nostalgic Christmas feeling. It just doesn't feel like Christmas (or winter) here if you can walk around without your gloves on. Oh well, in 2 weeks I'll be in Canada complaining about the damn cold. ;)

December 10, 2007 at 9:28:00 a.m. GMT+1  

Post a Comment

<< Home